We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Tacna to Colca, is it posible?

Which Arequipa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BH - Brasil
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
From Tacna to Colca, is it posible?

I have just 3 days after I leave San Pedro de Atacama to know Arequipa and Colca Canyon. So I would like to leave Atacama at night and go directly to Colca Canyon, I go by bus until Tacna then usually people goes to Arequipa and then get a 2d1n tour from there. On this way I will spend all my 3 days travelling and doing Colca's tour and nothing about Arequipa. My question: is it posible goes direct from Tacna to Colca Canyon on my first day? Then I would visit Colca on the next day and I will go to Arequipa on the second day.

I go alone.

Thanks.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,144 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Tacna to Colca, is it posible?

No commercial flights connecting Tacna and Arequipa.

Bus would be your only choice, and it does take hours to cover the distance.

BH - Brasil
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Tacna to Colca, is it posible?

What is the nearest city served by bus to Colca Canyon? Chivay? Can I take a bus from Tacna to there?

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Tacna to Colca, is it posible?

Hi Maguima

There isn't comercial route from Tacna to Colca directly you must arrive to the bus station in Arequipa and from there take a bus to Chivay - Cabanaconde The buses from Arequipa to Cabanaconde:

Reyna leaving 3am and 8:30am there are two other enterprise but I don have the departure times.

The tranport go to Chivay and then to Cabanaconde, You choose where to stay, My advise Cananconde is more typicall than Chivay and is at 15-20 minutes in bus from the condor cross (viewpoint to see condors)

and have another viewpoint too 30m walking

We past two nights in Cabanaconde in a beautifull hostel, with a great view

BH - Brasil
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Tacna to Colca, is it posible?

thanks a lot. Gracias.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Tacna to Colca, is it posible?

Yes if you start by bus from Tacna in early morning, you can change to a bus to Colca Canyon in Arequipa in the afternoon. This means you are going to visit Colca Canyon independently, not with an agency., which is fine.

BH - Brasil
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Tacna to Colca, is it posible?

do you know if is it posible to rent a car in Tacna and return it in Arequipa? is it posible go by car by myself? is it safe? do I need a 4x4 car?

7. Re: From Tacna to Colca, is it posible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 05:17