We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in Arequipa in a day?

Italy
Level Contributor
336 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
What to see in Arequipa in a day?

I'll be taking an early morning bus from Puno to Arequipa in February, and will most likely arrive around 12noon. Then I'll be catching a night bus to Nazca, which gives me a few hours to do some sightseeing in AQP. What are the absolute must-sees? I've already noted down Santa Catalina and the plaza area, but where else should I go? Sadly I won't have time to visit the Colca Canyon so that's not an option.

Are there any museums worth a visit? Should I pre-book a tour of the city with an agency, or can I just go it alone? And, where's the best place to stash my pack while I go sightseeing?

Many thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,123 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see in Arequipa in a day?

Everything is in the compact town center, easy to visit on your own for one day.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,508 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see in Arequipa in a day?

If you enjoy museums and history, definitely the Museo Santuarios Andino with the Ice Maiden mummy. It's one block from the main plaza. It's not a big museum. It's dedicated to the mummy, Juanita, and the items they found with her.

Definitely do not bother with a tour. Between the above museum and Santa Catalina, which are walking distance from the main square, and time for a meal, you can spend an afternoon.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see in Arequipa in a day?

I'm going in a few days there and will see the historical area and Monasterio de Santa Catalina, not interested in anything else from there.

Italy
Level Contributor
336 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see in Arequipa in a day?

Any idea where to stash a pack for a few hours?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,508 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see in Arequipa in a day?

The mummy museum would not letbyiubtake any bags or anything at all in so they had a check area. No idea if you could leave something all day but am not sure how they'd know. Also they were set up for small stuff so not sure what they'd do if you show up with a large bag. But you could email and ask them.

Also lots if hotels around the main plaza. Email a few and maybe one will store a bag for a fee.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see in Arequipa in a day?

The bus station, should allow you to check it there. Museums and Santa Catalina all will have a guard and storage at the front desk, but you should not leave passport/cash inside.

Italy
Level Contributor
336 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see in Arequipa in a day?

I believe the Mummy museum will be closed, or at least Juanita will not be on show when I visit in February. I'll probably try contact a hotel in advance and see if they can keep my pack. Many thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,508 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see in Arequipa in a day?

Even if Juanita is off display it's still worth a visit to see all the stuff she was buried with.

9. Re: What to see in Arequipa in a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2014, 05:17