We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with tour planning for Colca Canyon

Stuarts Draft...
1 post
Save Topic
Help with tour planning for Colca Canyon

My 15yr old daughter and I are arriving in Arequipa August 6th and are planning on leaving for a 2 night Canyon tour the next day. Will we be able to make arrangements the day before or should we book on line? I was told that July and August are the busiest tourist months in Peru. Do you think it is much cheaper to wait? We don't want to miss the trip. I was told to go with a group instead of alone to make sure we have safe passage. Although I considered it on our own.

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with tour planning for Colca Canyon

I went in Nov and it's the tail season to see the condors as they migrate to the coast for food, so August should be good. I'd buy the bus tour online just to be sure and you can enjoy the city when you visit. there are a few travel agents around the plaza if you want to wait however. If just 2 of you it's better to join a group with guide so you don't have to worry about logistics. I did the bus tour from puno via chivay to Arequipa so I didn't have to loop back to Arequipa. it's a pretty long drive more than half day from chivay to Arequipa.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,144 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with tour planning for Colca Canyon

There are dozens of travel agents around the main plaza. Also I'm sure your hotel in Arequipa can sell you a package. I doubt i will be that much cheaper if you wait so I would not wait just because you're hoping the prices will go down.

We also did the tour as a group. You could do it on your own but I'm not sure how much that buys you. You'd have to buy the bus ticket to Chivay, the bus ticket back to Arequipa, arrange transport to the condor viewpoint, the hotel in Chivay. You could try pricing it out to see if it saves money. I would not worry about it from a safety standpoint. But from a hassle factor, it is a lot of separate arrangements to make.

I would not drive it yourselves. The drive into Chivay is quite steep and twisty and the road has lots of potholes and cars passing on the wrong side and it was more fun to be watching the scenery than trying to drive.

3. Re: Help with tour planning for Colca Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2015, 06:15