We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arequipa - what a great city!

Arequipa, Peru
3 posts
Save Topic
Arequipa - what a great city!

I have been in Arequipa almost a year now and it is a fantastic city, I felt at home straight away.

I volunteered with Traveller Not Tourist, a great low cost organisation who help an orphanage and kindergarten in Arequipa. I volunteered in the kindergarten and loved it, the children are amazing! Traveller Not Tourist is also a tour agency who book tours around Peru with 50% of the money going to the projects and they´re trustworthy!

I also lived at Ceica Peru Spanish School. A fantastic school with great teachers and very flexible. The lessons are in a lovely garden so it´s a nice atmosphere. The teachers completely adapt their lessons to you and your level of Spanish which means your Spanish progresses really quickly. The style is so different to at home, but so much better!

Colca Canyon is close by, and is beautiful. I would definitely recommend the 3 day trek. It is also so easy to get the beach in the Summer months. There are great restaurants in Arequipa, my favourites being Hatunpa, Arthur and Capriccio.

Arequipa is a beautiful, friendly city and I would definitely recommend a visit there and to improve your Spanish at Ceica. If you have a bit extra time do volunteer with Traveller Not Tourist - it´s a lifechanging experience!

Mentioned in this post
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Peru
Peru
South America
Colca Canyon
Colca Canyon
4,931 Reviews
Arequipa Region, Peru
Tours Class Arequipa
Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Sky Viajes y Turismo
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Oasis Palmeras Travel Tour Operator
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Acuarela Tour Peru
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arequipa - what a great city!

I agree with you, and not only Arequipa, all of Peru is my favorite. I have been to many countries in Central and South America and Peru continues to amaze me and is my favorite.

Mentioned in this post
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Peru
Peru
South America
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Arequipa - what a great city!

I will be in arequipa for about 12 hours between 2 overnight bus later this month. Do you have any recommendations? Where to eat? What to see?

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
118 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arequipa - what a great city!

We too, loved Arequipa!! Just wish we'd had more time there and we spent 3 days. If I had 12 hours I would definitely not miss the Santa Catalina Monastery. Simply stunning. Get there early and really enjoy the place. We also liked the Cathedral Museum tour whose highlight is the rooftop access to the Cathedral with wonderful views of Misti and the Plaza. And...I'd certainly find time to visit Chaqchoa Organic Chocolates just a block away from the Monastery. Their 80% dark chocolate is some of the best I've tasted. Wished I'd bought more than one bar. Owner and staff really nice to chat with.

Mentioned in this post
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Durham, NC
Level Contributor
118 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arequipa - what a great city!

We too, loved Arequipa!! Just wish we'd had more time there and we spent 3 days. If I had 12 hours I would definitely not miss the Santa Catalina Monastery. Simply stunning. Get there early and really enjoy the place. We also liked the Cathedral Museum tour whose highlight is the rooftop access to the Cathedral with wonderful views of Misti and the Plaza. And...I'd certainly find time to visit Chaqchoa Organic Chocolates just a block away from the Monastery. Their 80% dark chocolate is some of the best I've tasted. Wished I'd bought more than one bar. Owner and staff really nice to chat with.

Mentioned in this post
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Arequipa - what a great city!

Great! I'll tag these places in my travel plan. Do u think its ok to lug our luggage around town? Do u know any luggage locker beside the airport?

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
118 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arequipa - what a great city!

I'd check with the bus company. They probably have a place to store luggage. Unless it's a small pack I wouldn't want to be lugging it around all day. You might want to message this TA poster. She mentioned that they checked her bag at the Monastery. You might be able to leave it with them for a while.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g294313-d312…

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Arequipa - what a great city!

Have anyone heard ofapartment@arequipaybackpackers.com? I contacted them for pick up and drop off. Need a place to shower and drop off luggage. Mighy be worth it since they are close t ok the city center.

8. Re: Arequipa - what a great city!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 05:15