We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Genral Questions

new york
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Genral Questions

I'll be going to Peru in a couple of months and trying to finalize my itinerary.

1. Cost of flights Lima - Cuzco. How far in advance is it recommended to book the flights (in other words can I buy the tickets in Lima 2 days before the flight).

2. Cost of taxi from airport in Cuzco to the Sacred Valley (unsure yet where I'll be staying)

3. Entrance fee to Machu Pichu.

Thanks.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Genral Questions

Hi,

I just got back from Peru.

1. I think we paid $55 each way (plus tax & etc, the total cost was about $250). I can't answer to the other question.

2. We stayed at El Albergue in Ollantaytambo and they sent us a car for $35 each way.

3. It was 122 soles/ticket.

NYC
Level Contributor
639 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Genral Questions

We paid $100 one-way from Lima to Cusco using the Lan peru website .... that was the cheapest available and that was about a couple of months in advance.

I'm sure you can still buy tickets a couple of days before hand, but the lower fares are likely to be gone at that stage. So I would book in as far in advance as you can if cost is an issue.

WV
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Genral Questions

We just returned as well and our flights intra Peru were approximately 110 pp RT booked in Peru on the local LAN site. They run throughout the day and should be easy to get a day ot two in advance.

If you stay in Cusco as we did (Amaru II- I would recommend it 40USD inc. tax, breakfast and luggage lockup while you travel plus they pick you up at the airport-have internet cheap, and water) they will provide transportation to the hostel; it cost us 6 soles to return to the airport at the end of our stay.

We left Cusco via taxi. The driver took us to Pisaq and waitied for us to shop and do the ruins. Then he took us to Urubamba where we had lunch and he waited. Next he took us to Salernas and waited while we climbed around the salt terraces. Then he drove us through the countryside to Moray Moras to see the agricultural circles/ruins. we stopped often for photos. Finally he took us to Ollayantambo where we had dinner and caught the 8:30 Backpacker train to Aguas Calientes. There were 4 adults and a three year old in the car- he watched our stuff while we toured. Cost approximately 55USD inc. tip., but we paid in soles. He bought his own meals and ate while he waited for us. What a deal!!!

Machu Picchu tickets must be purchased with soles- 116 (about 40 USD) bought in AC prior to boarding the bus. Don't interrupt the ticket vendor's breakfast though- he makes you wait. We went up at about 7:15 A.M.

Hope this helps- might want to try Gringo Bill's in AC.

new york
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Genral Questions

Thanks for the advice. I'm still getting different prices for flights - $100 one way or round trip?

Any suggestions for a hotel in Aguas Calientes? Prices?

Chicago
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Genral Questions

I just paid $65 each for one way Lima to Cusco on TACA.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Genral Questions

LAN has the most choices for Lima - Cusco, but I found TACA to be the cheapest (and still a great airline). I paid $65 one-way Lima - Cusco about 3 weeks in advance.

If you do use LAN, make sure you are using the Peru version of the web site for significantly lower fares than the US version.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Genral Questions

Each LAN flight to Cusco, offer a few seats at lower prices. The closer you get to the date of yr flight, the lesser is the chance of finding lower priced tickets.

In a couple of months time, you will be getting into the high season ticket prices.

The MP entrance fee does not change during high season.

Be sure you get yr train tickets to MP well in advance.

A taxi to the SV should not cost you more han $30 to $40 depending if you are going to Pisac,Urubaba or Ollantaytambo.

8. Re: Genral Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 20:19