We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me find travel insurance for Inca trail + flight delay!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help me find travel insurance for Inca trail + flight delay!

Hello all,

Having booked our tickets, our non refundable totally unflexible tickets, we have just become aware that there is a very real possibility that our early morning [7.20 am] flight from Cusco may be delayed or cancelled due to weather conditions.

This would be catastrophic as , if all goes well and we arrive in Lima airport at 8.40am, we have to catch a flight at 12.35 pm. to Buenos Aires.

As all this flying activity is scheduled to happen on April 24th I am hoping that the weather gods will cooperate and we will make our flight. But being paranoid I would like to insure us against the possibility that it all goes really bad.

Also we just found out that we need to have special travel insurance for the Inca trail.

I haven't been able to deduce from my online search whether the Inca trail is a "level 1" activity [least expensive/hazardous] of "lever four" it seems exceptions are made for trekking in Peru for under 4000 meters, but the trail goes above that in the dead woman's pass right?

I must note that we are European citizens and from what I could tell from insuremytrip.com and worldnomads.com the packages offered to US citizens are much more comprehensive.

Any ideas? thoughts,or suggestions? Bring them on, PLEASE.

Thank you all for your kind help.

Kind regards from Athens,

Denise

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me find travel insurance for Inca trail + flight delay!

www.columbusdirect.com

www.quotewright.com

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me find travel insurance for Inca trail + flight delay!

Try Travel Guard. I know it is designed mostly for US residents/citizens traveling to other countries, but I did notice that there is a place where non-US citizens can look for other packages they offer. Just a suggestion!

Whichever company you go with, make sure you get emergency evacuation coverage-- you don't want to be stuck in some tiny little hospital if you need more skilled care...

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me find travel insurance for Inca trail + flight delay!

And, if you need rescue off the trail. This is rare, but anything can happen anywhere.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me find travel insurance for Inca trail + flight delay!

Just a thought --

Check with your Inca Trail provider. They many have some insight into what insurance companies have been used by people not from the US.

As to the "levels," this was not something we had to know for our insurance. Check with the insurance company, as I don't think there is any international rating for levels of activity -- it must be something designated by the company.

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me find travel insurance for Inca trail + flight delay!

REI Travel rates the Inca Trail as Level 4 out of 5 with 1 being the easiest.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me find travel insurance for Inca trail + flight delay!

Thank you all so much!

Gwovadis, I tried the ones you suggested and whle they look just fine as far as the medical portion is concerned the don't do the flight delay thing [unless you miss your HOMEbound flight which is not our case].

Redhead excellent suggestion! I already contacted llamapath but haven't heard back from them, I'll wait a bit more and then drop them a call if they don't respond. Btw and this is off topic I know, did you say that if doing the Inca trail over again you would stop and get off the train i Ollantaytambo as this saves a bit of time? Then take a taxi back to Cusco from there? I think we will need as much rest as we can get on that final day in Cusco before the next day [with the possibly delayed flight].

I will also check Travelguard thank you for the tip, I DID think they don't cater to non-us citizens and they seem to be suggested a lot over the travel forums.

I just think I'm getting a case of the "everything will go wrong"s because I am so excited about this trip :)

Thank you all once more for your help.

Denise

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me find travel insurance for Inca trail + flight delay!

Thank you all so much!

Gwovadis, I tried the ones you suggested and whle they look just fine as far as the medical portion is concerned the don't do the flight delay thing [unless you miss your HOMEbound flight which is not our case].

Redhead excellent suggestion! I already contacted llamapath but haven't heard back from them, I'll wait a bit more and then drop them a call if they don't respond. Btw and this is off topic I know, did you say that if doing the Inca trail over again you would stop and get off the train i Ollantaytambo as this saves a bit of time? Then take a taxi back to Cusco from there? I think we will need as much rest as we can get on that final day in Cusco before the next day [with the possibly delayed flight].

I will also check Travelguard thank you for the tip, I DID think they don't cater to non-us citizens and they seem to be suggested a lot over the travel forums.

I just think I'm getting a case of the "everything will go wrong"s because I am so excited about this trip :)

Thank you all once more for your help.

Denise

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me find travel insurance for Inca trail + flight delay!

I don't think there would be any problem with you getting off in Ollantaytambo. The train stops there for about 5 minutes -- nobody checks to see if your tickets are to Cusco or to Olly. If you haven't pre-arranged a ride back, I think there are plenty of taxis & busses waiting for passengers when the train pulls in. This should save you 1 to 1 1/2 hrs.

If you are trekking with Llama Path, let them know well in advance that you would like to get off in Olly -- maybe they cut a bit off your fee, since those tickets (AC to Olly) are cheaper.

Usually with Llama Path, your tix back to Cusco include a pickup at the train station & return to your hotel. If you are getting off in Ollantaytambo, then you find your own way back to your Cusco hotel.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me find travel insurance for Inca trail + flight delay!

Our Llama Path tour included a drop-off in Olly. and then we took a small bus back to Cusco, where they dropped us all off at our respective hotels (we didn't realize this was happening until we were told to get off the train in Olly...). Double-check with them first if that's the plan, and you won't have to worry about finding your own transportation.

10. Re: Help me find travel insurance for Inca trail + flight delay!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 02:17