We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SV and Cusco... When to take Diamox

San Diego, Ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
SV and Cusco... When to take Diamox

I know the altitude sickness has been covered extensively, but my question is more about timing. Hubby and I will be flying in to Cusco from Puerto Maldonado and going down to the SV for the night. The next day we are touring SV and taking train to AC. Following day is MP with a late train to Cusco. Then a couple of days in Cusco before taking the Inka Express to Puno. We've both got prescriptions for Diamox (125mg for me, 250 for him) with instructions to start the day before going to altitude and continue for 2 days. We have only enough for 3 days. My question is should I take before arriving in SV or wait and take the day before we return to Cusco so we are getting the benefits at the higher altitiude.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SV and Cusco... When to take Diamox

Altitude sickness may be prevented by taking acetazolamide 125 or 250 mg twice daily starting 24 hours before ascent and continuing for 48 hours after arrival at altitude

So start in PM before ascent to Cusco

and take for 3 days at altitude...

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SV and Cusco... When to take Diamox

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if you were staying in Cusco for a month, should you continue to take Diamox every day while there? Or would the initial loading dose (24 hours before ascent and for a few days afterwards) be enough to allow your body to adjust to the altitude?

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SV and Cusco... When to take Diamox

Our doctor had us begin the Diamox two days before reaching altitude, then continuing the entire time, as we we always going higher (Inca Trail, Lake Titicaca). We took it for a total of 15 days. We went to Lake T. on day 12, and my husband had altitude sickness there.

It is also available over the counter in Peru, in general form, as "acetazolamida."

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SV and Cusco... When to take Diamox

I would recommend to keep taking it. We were in Cusco 5 days before our hike and after 3 days I felt fine. I stopped taking it - mistake. The first day of our hike I had some problems but as soon as I started to take my Diamox again I was okay.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SV and Cusco... When to take Diamox

I am so grateful for this thread. I just went through the information my daughter got from Passport Health when she got her vaccinations a few weeks ago. Included in the package was a script for 8 tablets of Diamox 250 mg to be taken twice a day starting the day prior to ascent, then "continuing throughout the climb."

Clearly, my daughter neglected to tell the doctor she would be there for a month ... so I called just now and they are going to adjust the prescription so she'll have the Diamox for the duration of her trip.

Even though this is not my thread, I'd like to thank you guys for the great input.

San Diego, Ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SV and Cusco... When to take Diamox

Thanks everyone. I guess my concern was that we would be using up our supply before we got to the really high altitudes. Knowing that we can buy it there if we have to makes me feel a little better.

elsewhere
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SV and Cusco... When to take Diamox

Hi amsd ... just curious, was there an issue with getting your doctor to prescribe enough for more than three days?

San Diego, Ca
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SV and Cusco... When to take Diamox

There was. The travel clinic staff did not seem very knowledgeable. She had a print out about Peru and I had to tell her what I needed. The sheet she had said three days so that was all she would prescribe. My husband had the same experience at a different clinic.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SV and Cusco... When to take Diamox

Newtoplaya,

Your daughter might not need to take the Diamox the whole time she is in Cusco. After a couple of weeks, she might be OK without it. But it's probably still a good idea to have plenty on hand.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SV and Cusco... When to take Diamox

www.mdtravelhealth.com

Illness Prevention Altitude Illness

Correct info from Travel MD

After the additional adjustment period

for the first several days

taking additional Diamox(Acetazolamida)

does no further good best to taper/D/C...