We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing Treks While In Cusco

London
3 posts
Save Topic
Purchasing Treks While In Cusco

Has anyone any experience of buying treks while in Cusco itself? There are plenty of companies who offer treks online but I'm wondering whether there could be any savings made by booking treks on arrival rather than in advance?

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchasing Treks While In Cusco

The Inca trail is limited to 500 people per day including porters etc. And in order to hike the trek you need to have a permit. These permits sell out months in advance so I doubt that you would be able to secure your spot while in Cusco on a last minute basis. You need to reserve your spot with one of the trekking companies who obtain the permit with you. These permits are not transferable so even if people cancel spots do not open.

Checking the on line permit availability it appears the trail is sold out till September 2009.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchasing Treks While In Cusco

For other treks besides the Inca Trail, you do not have to book so far in advance, but as these alternative treks get more popular, that will be changing, too. I've heard that some people have gotten some good deals (they say) on treks booked last minute in Cusco. (Not the Inca Trail.) Now, the quality of these treks -- equipment, guides, tents, food, etc. -- is unknown & could be questionable, as you often get what you pay for. And, as everywhere in the world, there are shysters who will not provide what they promised.

Also, if you wait until you get to Cusco, you might waste a lot of time finding & checking with trek agencies to find one with a trek you want, leaving in your time frame.

There are always some set fees for treks, including transport to trailhead & back, entry fees (now added to treks in addition to the Inca Trail), etc.

I would rather book with a company that comes highly recommended by people who have used them & were satisfied with the service provided.

On this forum, trek companies often recommended include Llama Path, Peru Treks, Qente, Pachamama Explorers, Apus Peru, and Peru Trek 4 Good.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchasing Treks While In Cusco

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm aware of the permit situation with the Inca Trail but it was more of the alternative routes and short day excursions taken on an ad hoc basis for anyone who's travelling and can't commit to booking treks in advance. I'm sure there are plenty of tour operators based in Cusco and it was more to gauge the availability and whether it was sometimes a little cheaper to walk into an operator based in the city?

toronto
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchasing Treks While In Cusco

Hi Cantona,

I would check with Yure from Peru Trek 4 Good. He is a great guide and his web site offers different excursions all around Cusco and Peru.

He can advise you as to what treks are available and the time parameters involved.

Regards,

Bill

cusco
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchasing Treks While In Cusco

For the alternative treks you can book in Cusco, but I still would not chance it.

The reason I say that is the agency you book with will be looking LAST MINUTE for train tickets for you and for the high season months the trains are very very full, especially the BACKPACKER trains which is the more economical train. If they cannot find you a backpacker train then you need to pay more possibly for a VISTADOME train.

If you are looking for a good agency to go with and want peace of mind in knowing everything is secure without you having to worry, then book in advance with one of the companies mentioned on this site.

6. Re: Purchasing Treks While In Cusco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2009, 06:25