We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Cusco - several questions

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip to Cusco - several questions

HI

My husband and I are planning a trip for eight adults and two children (I know, we're crazy.....but we will have so much fun). My husband just read about Peru being very dangerous in the Lonely Planet Guide. I have just been perusing Tripadvisor and didn't get that feeling at all. Any response about that?

Next, we will be coming in November or December or March. Will the weather likely prevent us from any activities? I know this is just a guess but if November is significantly better than December historically then we would want to know that. Otherwise I think Christmas in Peru could be fantastic. Then again, so would Thanksgiving!

Thanks!

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Cusco - several questions

We're two adults and one child (10) and we just spent four weeks in Peru - Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu), Cusco, Puerto Moldanado, Tambopata and Lima - and we never felt unsafe. We hiked all over the ruins in Pisac and Ollantaytambo, walked all over Cusco and Lima, did a 5 night/6 day jungle excursion, etc, and never felt we had to worry. If you're planning on being out /late/ at night, you would want to exercise the same caution you would visiting anywhere but otherwise you should be fine.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Cusco - several questions

Thanks! What were the highlights for you and especially for your 10 year old?

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Cusco - several questions

…worldnomads.com/destination/…23.aspx

Peru makes a great family adventure destintaion tonnes

of adventure and fun...little danger risk in main tourist areas

petty theft rare your biggest risk

www.insuremytrip.com always wise...

www.peruforless.com

www.ancientsummit.com Nina is GREAT

www.kuodatours.com

www.perubesttours.com

can help you set this up...

or cheaper DIY with driver/guides and www.casa-andina.com hotels

Have fun,

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to Cusco - several questions

The jungle was a HUGE highlight for us all. The wildlife was incredible. The kidlet says she loved the food in Peru. We all enjoyed the villages in the Sacred Valley, Ollantaytambo especially. And the ruins. We met up with another family and the kids actually played hike and seek among the ruins. In Lima, she says she liked Larcomar (the mall set into the cliffs) and the bus tour we did of the city (double decker open top). She also says she loved sitting in the square in Cusco and watching the people go by.

5. Re: Family trip to Cusco - several questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 August 2010, 19:32
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip to Cusco - several questions

Lonely Planet is targeted to the backpacker who may be staying in dodgy hostels, taking local busses, and going to more remote places. I've been to Peru solo the last two years and do not feel it is unsafe if you use your common sense and take normal precautions that you would anywhere. In fact it feels safer to me than the city where I live, and also safer than many cities in Europe where tourists are often targeted with petty theft scams.

In Lima use normal big city precautions with your belongings, to avoid being a theft target. As far as I'm concerned it feels safer than many European cities where thieves also target tourists. Common suggestions are to not wear flashy jewelry or watches of any type, carry only the days worth of cash, don't flash expensive cameras in markets or around the central plazas, leave the passports in the hotel safe if they have one, don't go walking down dark alleys, avoid carrying backpacks, and use a reliable taxi service through your hotel. (These precautions also apply to an extent in Cusco city).

With your large group you will want to ask your hotel to arrange your pickup from the airports, which also increases saftey.

In the small towns, ruins, and Amazon lodges you have very little to worry about.

Ronneby, Sweden
Level Contributor
251 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip to Cusco - several questions

mlgb gives good advise and if you follow them, I doubt that you will get in any trouble more than out of bad luck (which could strike you anywhere in the world). Lima are a little tricky and the neighborhood can change drastically from one block to another. If you have a reliable guide he/she can probably give you some good advise where to not wander off (even close to the main square there are areas best left alone according to our Lima-guide). Use the usual precautions and stay alert, but don't forget to enjoy the sights!

You can also "gear up" with some anti-theft equipment like steel meshed bags and such things. Search the Internet for this and you'll find shops providing stuff that at least to some level will help you thwarting an ill-planned theft attempt.

Highlights; well Peru is amazing! A visit to the jungle are fantasitc, the whole Cuzco area are wonderful (the salt mines "Salinas de Maras" was a positive surprise to me), a boat trip on Lake Titicaca are amazing, the village of Chivay in Colca Canyon gave me memories that will last forever...so much to see in Peru.

I think March would be a less good month to visit. of the ones you listed The rain season have just passed and there might be issues from the rain (just think of the Machu Picchu railroad being washed away this year).

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
119 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family trip to Cusco - several questions

the advise looks fine. a couple more things: Thanksgiving is not celebrated here, Christmas is a nice time but the traffic is terrible (well terrible is the usual, just before Cristmas it is a NIGHTMARE). You might want to check for Semana Santa dates (I dont know in english, it ends in easter) and program to be in Ayacucho for those dates, Its a fantastic fiesta, very traditional and interesting... about security just two more things, avoid carrying arround your atm card, and try to use it only inside banks or supermarkets in daylight. Dont give your credit card to waiters, store attendants, etc, it should never be out of sight. ask for inalambric devices to slide your credit card (it might be "clonated")

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family trip to Cusco - several questions

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your input. And so you know I'm not completely unaware (just somewhat) ......I know Thanksgiving isn't celebrated in Peru....but that would not prevent it from being a memorable Thanksgiving to us. Thanksgiving in Thailand was one of our most memorable.....even though we celebrated it in a tree house with noodles. :)

Lima
Level Contributor
523 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Family trip to Cusco - several questions

Traveling with family to Peru is not as dangerous as you can imagine, you just have to be properly...led to (this) land of promise,...a land... prepared for you...which is...certainly...choice above other lands. I would suggest you to contact with reputable Peru based tour companies some are really inspired to manage family groups like yours according to their preferences and interests.... here just a few from where to choose from...

www.peruforless.com

www.pmexplorers.com

www.kuodatravel.com

www.peruinteract.com

www.perubesttours.com

November is when the rainy season starts in the mountains but of course it is more likely it will not rain as much as in December or even March.