We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do beyond the ruins? Horseback riding/rafting?

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
What to do beyond the ruins? Horseback riding/rafting?

We are spending 10 days in SV/Cusco area and have 4 days booked touring with Percy Salas. Then, as I have said in other posts, 5 days to hang around Cusco (22,23, 24, 25, 26). I know Cusco will take a day to see the museums/churches, etc. and there will be the Christmas market, but I am looking for other things to do.

Looking into an afternoon of horseback riding or rafting. I have searched on here at length but not finding a lot of info or recs, just links to tour companies.

So, has anyone done any rafting or riding in this area? Can you do a day ride? Is there any rafting that is not white water (the twins are 8 and, despite lots of lesson and tons of pool/beach time, are not strong swimmers).

Really looking for a day that is not looking at ruins.

Or any other "just get out and enjoy the area" options? Any real experiences?

Thanks!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
105 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do beyond the ruins? Horseback riding/rafting?

Hi there,

There are a few places to go for horseback riding not far from the city and river rafting can also be done in quiet spots, not too crazy for kids. I would recommend that once here you check the prices and offers, there are lots of travel agencies in the city.

Another option is this company http://www.perumototours.com/, they have ATV tours too, might want to check it.

Something cool to do is also a visit to the Planetarium Cusco, it is small and simple, but really nice.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do beyond the ruins? Horseback riding/rafting?

Thanks! Actually I was looking at the planetarium earlier today....looked very cool.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do beyond the ruins? Horseback riding/rafting?

www.ericadventures.com biking rafting

www.perolchico.com horses

Sunday or Thursday Pisac Market largest Inka market in the world

my favs...usually go to www.ollantaytambo.org first for a couple of

days 8000 ft lower than Cusco 11000 ft to adjust to altitude.

Have fun,

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do beyond the ruins? Horseback riding/rafting?

I should have mentioned that we are spending 3 nights in Olly. and one in MP, so already seeing Pisac, Olly, etc. That is why we are looking for other things to see.....to just enjoy the area.

Were thinking of doing Cultural Immersion's Andes village visit on Christmas day, taking presents, but just heard back that they are doing it on the 19th this year....which is a tour day for us.

Beginning to think we are spending too long in SV.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
749 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do beyond the ruins? Horseback riding/rafting?

Also, does anyone know if Perol Chico does day rides? I have reviewed that site before but seems all they do is multi-day rides, to ruins.

6. Re: What to do beyond the ruins? Horseback riding/rafting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2011, 05:18