We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Several trip planning questions to MP

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
166 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Several trip planning questions to MP

Hi there, I am in the early stages of planning a trip to MP for my boyfriend & I. His lifelong dream has been to visit MP & I REALLY want to get this right on my own w/out a tour company but would love to hire a guide once at MP. There is an overwhelming amount of information & I apologize in advance - I'm sure my questions have been asked a hundred times before.

The dates we are able to go are July 2-9, 2011 (I hope its a good time of year to go). We are not really looking to do any of the hard core hikes (other than in the ruins themselves) - the easier the better - train or bus up to the ruins is fine by us. We are looking for hotels under $100/night. I am a bit confused about staying in Cusco vs staying in Aguascalientes & any other nearby towns. How far would it be from Cusco to MP? We would love to be able to wake up before dawn & start heading up...

How would you recommend we break up our trip during these dates?

July 2 - Leave LV to Lima to Cusco (is it possible? or would we have to wait until the next day?)

July 3-8 - ???????

July 9 - Leave Cuzco for Lima, Leave Lima for LV

I understand I would have to book a flight from Lima to Cusco, & I've seen at least 3 airlines recommended on here. Staying at a hotel in Cusco for under $100/night... Not sure how it works from there as far as how to get to MP.

Trains, buses & taxis - I'm sure there are options, but the most basic is ok for us.

I guess the most important would be to get acclimated to the altitude prior to MP & being able to spend 1 entire day there, visiting Sacred Valley (can we mountain bike here?) & exploring Cusco - I feel that's all we would pretty much have time for anyway.

Any advice or recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

Alpaca Expeditions
Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Cultural Tours
Valentin's Pachamama Journeys
Cultural Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Day Trips, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Lorenzo Expeditions
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Kondor Path Tours - Day Tours
Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Several trip planning questions to MP

the answers to most of your questions and a lot more are regularly posted here.

for example Macchu Picchu is at a lower altitude than Cuzco, getting acclimated for several days first has more to do with if you are hiking the trail.

If you aren't doing the trail, the normal way is to take the train from either cusco or sacred valley (many more trains run only from SV to MP, than from Cuzco to MP) to "MP" which in this case is really the town of Aguas Calientes - from there you take a bus to the actual site.

Read the many threads about possibly spending some nights in Sacred Valley (Urubamba or Ollantaytambo) , visiting various other sites in Cuzco and Sacred Valley, and whether to spend a night in Aguas Calientes or visit MP going and returning the same day... to make up your mind what to do and in what order.

for the flights questions - search likely flights from LV on your dates. Allow that flights might be delayed, so if not booked as a single itinerary - including Cuzco probably good to keep a flexibility by having an overnight in Lima at least on the way back. If booked together at the same time the LIM-CUZ part will probably be cheaper than if booked separately. And if booked together through the airline, the airline will have to take more responsibility for rebooking you if an earlier segment is late or canceled.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Several trip planning questions to MP

to see it all follow this route buy read an LP Peru shoestring guide

Nice hotels top www.hostelbookers.com Hostels like

www.lokihostels.com best way for most to do it...

cheapest flights

Avoid LAN $178.50 tourist rip off surcharge

take Diamox/Acetzolamida to prevent altitude illness

www.andeantravelweb.com for top trekkers

careful lots of scammers never wire money always pay with CC

Have fun,

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Several trip planning questions to MP

Play around for cheap fluights LAS FLL LIM on

$79/tax each way for me last year...

Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Several trip planning questions to MP

Andean Travel Web is a good online travel guide

July is good in Cusco although foggy and overcast in Lima.

Many international flights arrive in Lima around midnight, then the next morning you fly to Cusco.

Stay in Ollantaytambo first, then Aguas Calientes, then Cusco, before you return to Lima. It is better to go back to Lima the day before the internatiional flight and spend a night there. There is plenty to see.

If LV is Las Vegas, then Spirit Air is not going to be a great choice for you since you have to get to Florida to catch the flight.

Try a search enginesuch as fly.com and you'll get the lowest available fares. I would also try searching from LAX and SFO, since you should be able to get flights from LV around $100-$120 RT. I do agree that it may be too early to see the best sale fares, but if you start checking now you'll get an idea of what a good price is.

$500 to $600 is a pretty good price (from LAX to LIM) but you might get lucky and catch a super sale. The problem is, you have very specific dates that you can travel on so you aren't that flexible.

Edited: 29 September 2010, 19:06
Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Several trip planning questions to MP

I just got back from Peru about a week ago. If you want to get up there early and you are not hiking the Inca trail you I recommend you stay in Agua Calientes the night before and getting the first bus up to MP. There is a hotel at MP but it is very expensive so not sure if that is in your budget.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

6. Re: Several trip planning questions to MP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2011, 05:17
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now