We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour company or on your own?

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
506 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Tour company or on your own?

I have seen some packages with tour companies that have you book from Lima and all the way back there at the end of the trip. I want to do the Inca trail and rafting, but not sure if I should book it all as a package or each through a tour company or what. Any ideas or am I just comfused haha.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour company or on your own?

Do it on your own and save your money. See my post here for some tips...

tripadvisor.ca/…30282395

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
506 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour company or on your own?

Ok thanks!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
747 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour company or on your own?

I agree. Do it on your own for flexibility and to save money. You can find drivers/guides for the days you want and to go where you want either online or once you get there. Great guide recom. here. You can book your hotel online.

Of course, for the Inca trail, you will have to use one of the tour companies.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour company or on your own?

if you have a sense of adventure and like to feel empowered,then do it yourself...only do a tour when it's the only way around it...like the inca trail for example..even then ask yourself if it's worth the money,etc.. for example ,i think that doing the train yourself to aguas calientes,the night there,the hot springs,and walking up from there to macchu picchu am,when few people are there is in itself a self assuring mini adventure in making a sound cash saving decision,in getting away from those tourist groups,and having the inner faith to know that i'm happy with my own decision,etc.....

it's the best way to go...and it's dirt cheap!!!!!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
747 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour company or on your own?

Another reason to do it yourself is that hiring a local guide/driver may enable you to avoid crowds. Our guide was great at planning our days itinerary based on what we wanted to see AND planning the order of things based on when he knew the big tour buses would NOT be there. We never had a crowd anywhere...rarely saw a big tour bus, exept when they came flooding into Olly as we were leaving in the morning.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour company or on your own?

when i meant do it yourself,i meant just that...a lonely planet book..and you do it ALL where possible yourself...no guides,unless you absolutely need to know ,or have an extra special interest in say macchu picchu...>ie,you can follow other groups (and get a guide fo free..like a kinda hanger on at the ruins...ho ho...etc.)..my advice:read up oo it beforehand so you know the score...and learn some spanish if you can't speak it.....it makes the world of difference.good luck!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
747 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour company or on your own?

If you want to do Sacred Valley, you will at least need a driver. Unless you want to take local buses. Then it is possible you will spend as much time trying to get places as actually being there. I know people do this all the time, but if you only have a short time in Peru, a driver or guide for a couple days can help you maximize your time in the SV. MP, certainly, you can do on your own, as well as Cusco or LIma.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour company or on your own?

a taxi from cuzco to the sacred calley is very expensive..ok,maybe a taxi from your hotel in cuzco to the bus station..but not from your hotel to the sacred valley.....we are talking about the difference of a few minutes here and there..and a big wad of cash that misses out on the fun of a peruvian bus ride,and opportunity to master some bits of peru on the cheap...because peru is cheap...not expensive...only tourist things are expensive,but you can do 95% of peru yourself any way....i don't understand wher this throw money around and it will be better philosophy comes from....but i can guess.....

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour company or on your own?

WOW...christian091 vs VaNC .....whos gonna get the last word in? LOL

I was in Peru last May/June and took a taxi from Ollantaytambo to Cusco with stops at Maras and Moray on the way for 70 soles which is about $25.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour company or on your own?

no battle meant,and the throw money philosophy doesn't come from van's country anyway....but one close by...ho ho!!!...having been in south america for altogether 5 years i should at least know some things..even if it was along time ago...$25 for a one way taxi ride, verses 1 dollar?.......or less...the choice is yours....its your adventure.have fun!