We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuzco to Puno....cheapest and fast way without flying

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Cuzco to Puno....cheapest and fast way without flying

Looking for the most efficient way to get to Puno without having to pay the ridiculous flying rate.

A poster mentioned this in another forum

"There are are also tourist buses operating that route such as www.inkaexpress.com which stop at sites along the way. I think the ticket was about $50. A normal bus is going to be the cheapest option and quicker than the train or tourist bus. The train www.perurail.com is very expensive. You are looking at $220 per person each way."

My question...How long doe sthe tourist bus take and what sites do they stop at? What do you mean by a normal bus, how much is that and how long does it take?

The train is out of the question because it's not cheap

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuzco to Puno....cheapest and fast way without flying

The tourist bus takes 8 hours to arrive to Puno. The places you stop on your way to Puno: Andahuaylillas, Raqchi and Pukara Museum.

Would recommend going to: www.andeantravelweb.com for full information

A regular bus will take longer and pick up people all the way down to Puno, would be cheaper, colorful and not too reliable IMHO

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuzco to Puno....cheapest and fast way without flying

I flew from Juliaca but I met up with people in Cusco who took a bus from Juliaca or Puno (cant remember which) to Cusco and they said it took just over 5 hours so direct buses on that route must exist.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuzco to Puno....cheapest and fast way without flying

So in order for me to accomplish lake titkaka visit leaving from Cuzco, I need to take the tourist bus ( 8hrs ) to Puno, then wait for the morning boat tours to Uros and the other places before coming back to Cuzco.

That is looking like 3 days

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuzco to Puno....cheapest and fast way without flying

Your base city is going to be Cusco?

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
921 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuzco to Puno....cheapest and fast way without flying

Why do you say that you need to take the tourist bus?

You can take a normal, non-tourist bus. It's faster and cheaper. It simply won't stop at the tourist sites along the way. It will cut a few hours off your trip I imagine.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cuzco to Puno....cheapest and fast way without flying

FalcoG ....said in the post above that a normal bus takes longer? Some please clarify this

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cuzco to Puno....cheapest and fast way without flying

I travelled from Cusco to Puno twice last year and it was around about 6 hours, an overnight bus, I think you arrive in Puno at about 4 in the morning. It might be longer in the wet season but I'm not sure. I can't remember the bus company, but I think titcaca was maybe in the name? If I remember I'll re-post.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cuzco to Puno....cheapest and fast way without flying

For the reasons mentioned:

"A regular bus will take longer and pick up people all the way down to Puno, would be cheaper, colorful and not too reliable IMHO"

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cuzco to Puno....cheapest and fast way without flying

So if I take the overnight bus to Puno from Cuzco, what time does the lake titikaka tours depart for the floating island?

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cuzco to Puno....cheapest and fast way without flying

Tours depart 09:15am and return 12:30pm. Tours have to be reserved in advance.