We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MP train tickets - reservations vs ticketing

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
MP train tickets - reservations vs ticketing

From surfing the web it seemed that one could make a train reservation for MP and then pay in person in Cusco (or other places, I guess). Is that the case, or do the tickets have to be bought the same day?

Thanks.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MP train tickets - reservations vs ticketing

Train Tickets for Peru Rail Company?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MP train tickets - reservations vs ticketing

Yes, tickets for peru rail.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MP train tickets - reservations vs ticketing

You will need to buy them online thru their website: www.perurail.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MP train tickets - reservations vs ticketing

The online site requires a "verified by Visa" credit card, which I don't have. There is the option of emailing them for reservations, which is what I did. The reservation I got back said "good for today only" whereas on the web there was mention of making reservation and getting it ticketed in Cusco close to the travel date. Hence the confusion on my part.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MP train tickets - reservations vs ticketing

From what I know, you contact them by mail, then they will send you a request for your credit card details and so on, for you to buy the tickets.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MP train tickets - reservations vs ticketing

That is what ended up happening. I sent them my reservation request and they sent back a form to be filled out with credit card details etc. Once I filled it out and sent it back, they confirmed the reservation and ticketed it, sending the tickets to me by email.

Thanks.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MP train tickets - reservations vs ticketing

Great! It is one of my favourites train rides. Enjoy your trip!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MP train tickets - reservations vs ticketing

I have been trying to pre-book and pay for a return train via PERURAIL on-line service for the past 2 weeks.

In addition I have sent several e-mails to the reservation folks.

It is rather frustrating and disappointing that, in this day and age for an organisation which appears to market a high quality product/service in the so call exclusive part of the world with a handsome premium for its services, the on line web site changes like the weather.

Somtimes it works in the first and second parts of the booking on line page and then it just falls on its face.

Has anyone used the online service and sucessfully booked the ticket and paid through CC?

Perhaps Perurail should outsource their Information Technology component to get a bit of creditibility.

Langley, Canada
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MP train tickets - reservations vs ticketing

I was successful recently in booking our perurail return Ollantaytambo/Aguas Caliente tickets on line using my Visa. It actually went smoothly for me.

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MP train tickets - reservations vs ticketing

This is just our experience and future plans based on that.

We bought ours as a tour package but had to hike from the drop off from the taxi to the train station since the road was under construction and then again from the train station to the taxi waiting area (in the dark, with few lights--a practical flashlight is a good idea). Sigh.

We had no problems with our tickets--we showed our ID and our tickets were waiting for our ride TO Aguas Calientes but for our ride back...the person who was meeting us at the station had us waiting for over 30 minutes there, then took us to a mexican restaurant to wait another 2 hours while she took our passports/ID's and went to go buy them. (Sigh again--we could have enjoyed the town in that time.) She also went around and bought out bus tickets up to Machu Picchu. The line for that was long but it moved fast.

We've decided that in the future, when we are traveling, we won't bother with a tour operator any more--we can hire a taxi and then buy our stuff there at our leisure. We plan on staying 2 nights in Augas Calientes so that we can have one entire day there and not be watching the clock the entire time.

Good luck.