We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we go throug customs in Lima if final destination is Cuzc

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Do we go throug customs in Lima if final destination is Cuzc

We will arrive at 11 pm on the international flight to Lima and continue with Taca at 5:40 am to Cuzco. The luggage will be checked all the way to Cuzco.

What happens upon arrival to Lima? Do we need to collect the luggage and go through the customs and the have the luggage re-checked to the Taca flight or do we go through the customs in Cuzco and all we have to do in Lima is stay over for those few hours before the next flight?

I assume we do not have to leave the terminal since we are waiting for the next plane.

please advice. thank you

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we go throug customs in Lima if final destination is Cuzc

If your luggage is going thru to Cusco I assume that you will go thru immigration and thru the intransit area to wait for your flight to Cusco.

Would be better to check with your airline.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we go throug customs in Lima if final destination is Cuzc

After going through immigration, we had to collect our luggage, then go through customs & re-check our luggage when flying on LAN (both into Lima & on to Cusco).

Usually, you have to take your luggage through customs yourself when first entering any country. Some airports have an area near customs to re-check luggage for connecting flights. I don't remember one at the Lima Airport -- we just went to the LAN desk to check in for our flight & check our luggage. Airline desks are not far from customs.

When returning to the U.S., you will have to do the same thing at your first point of entry into the country.

You do not need to leave the airport. You will go upstairs for domestic departures, down a long hall, pay your departure tax (about $6.50, sometimes now included in cost of ticket -- you will have stickers on your boarding pass if prepaid), then go through security & back downstairs to the gate area. Along the way you can stop to exchange money, get food, check out the shops, etc.

Agree with FalcoG, always best to check with the airline. You can also ask as you travel through the airport.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we go throug customs in Lima if final destination is Cuzc

Falco, Redhead, thank you very much, this is very helpful.

and I will try to get in touch with Taca.

Maryland
Level Contributor
149 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we go throug customs in Lima if final destination is Cuzc

We will be at the Lima airport from appoximately midnight to 5am waiting for our flight to Cusco. Are the shops and restaurants open during this timeframe?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we go throug customs in Lima if final destination is Cuzc

TWS, yes there are 24 hour services there.

Go upstairs to the mezzanine food court, 4-D is comfortable and has great gelato and coffee drinks.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
275 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we go throug customs in Lima if final destination is Cuzc

American Airlines put us on a flight from Lima to Cusco only about 1 hour after we land in Lima...............

..... I guess we should just assume we'll miss that flight, correct?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we go throug customs in Lima if final destination is Cuzc

Probably. But if it's American they partner with LAN, so you should get in on the next flight if there is space (except it is busy season now). I would call now and ask if they can move you to the next flight so you don't have to deal with that in Lima.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
799 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we go throug customs in Lima if final destination is Cuzc

I did that on LAN at the end of May. Arrived Lima on LAN at 11.59 pm, and depart to Cusco at 5 ish am on LAN again.

I collected my luggage in Lima, passed the customs, and went out. Turn to left to go to the check-in counters, which are on the same floor as arrival. I then dropped off my luggage there. Easy and hassle-free.

Shops are opened around the clock. Starbucks and the cafe opposite also opened. For foodcourt, I think it closed briefly from 2 to 4 am or so. There are a few shops and a convenient store, but don't come to expect a big shopping mall. The airport is not that big, so easy to navigate, and it is bright and modern.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,520 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do we go throug customs in Lima if final destination is Cuzc

Like in any other country, you go through immigration and customs at your first port of entry.

You would be very lucky to go through immigration and customs and check in on another flight in 1 hour, actually, I would say its almost imposible.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we go throug customs in Lima if final destination is Cuzc

We are taking the redeye on LAN(AA) and arrive Lima airport 6:10am. Connecting flight to Cuzco is at 8:25am (LAN). Is that enough time for immigration, pick-up and recheck luggage, find connecting gate, etc.? Given extra time, should we attempt to get local currency (via ATM or bank) in the Lima airport? When we land in Cuzco airport, hotel driver will take us directly to Ollantaytambo, so not sure where/when to get cash in Cuzco. Is there a safe bank or ATM in Cuzco airport? Thank you.