We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying with Visa and extra charges

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Paying with Visa and extra charges

is it true that if we pay with visa some extracharges are applicable.

I understand that some F/x rate will be charged because the currency of my credit card and the soles but while we are trying to make a reservation with a tour guide he mentioned that if we pay by CC an additional 5 or 7% will be charged by the local bank.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying with Visa and extra charges

Yes, this is common with many companies in Peru.

I think the vendors may pay a hefty surcharge for processing credit card charges, and so just pass some on to the purchaser.

And yes, this % is in addition to what your credit card issuer might assess for the transaction.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying with Visa and extra charges

It varies from place to place. In some places (restaurants, some shops etc) there was no surcharge for using Visa. In other places, we were told there would be a surcharge (2% or more).

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying with Visa and extra charges

Capital One credit cards are great for international travel. I don't know if this is available to you in Canada, though. For us in the States, no foreign transaction fees are charged by Capital One, unlike the 5% or so that most other credit card companies charge.

That's independent of credit card fees that the local merchant might charge, though. Capital One can't help with that.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying with Visa and extra charges

Yes quite often there as a surcharge for paying with CC, separate from the Fx fee. It seemed especially that the small operators would add this, and some would take only cash. Always worth asking if there is a cash discount.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying with Visa and extra charges

Thank you all for the feed back, in two days my B/F and I we are heading to Lima and then Cusco. Really looking forward to the trip and I will make sure I provide some feedback when I am back.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying with Visa and extra charges

This is not the case with most restaurants and hotels.

It happens at small establishments who prefer cash rather than credit cards as they will get a deduction from VISA of 6 to 8% from the top of the bill.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
104 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying with Visa and extra charges

As anywhere else in the world, credit or debit card payments should not be subjected to any extra charges, however some small businesses and not so serious establishments add a percentage to their sales with this method of payment instead of complying with the policies. In Peru, VISA doesn not deduct more than 5% to establishments who agree to accept cards as payment.

You shouldn't have a problem if you contact a serious travel agency, and none of the known hotels, restaurants or stores overcharge (known doesn't always mean expensive)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying with Visa and extra charges

This isn't true anymore. Credit surcharges (or cash discount, whatever you want to call it) are pretty common outside the US, and even in US, more and more places are going that direction (especially gas stations).

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paying with Visa and extra charges

Yes, it's a matter of semantics..."Cash Discount" or not taking CC at all isn't that uncommon with small operators of hotels, B&Bs in particular, as well as local restaurants are often cash only.

Edited: 23 July 2011, 19:37
10. Re: Paying with Visa and extra charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 22:18