We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inca trail agency decision and Manu vs Pto Maldonado

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Inca trail agency decision and Manu vs Pto Maldonado

Hi,

We are curently looking at the differnt 4-day inca trail agencies and the shortlist is Ecotourism Chaska and Enigma due to group size or Quente and Peru Treks due to service quality and how they treat their staff. Any experience recently or other recommendations?

We also consider 3-4 days in Amazon jungle but I am not sure if Manu or Pto Maldonado? Any recommendatins as to where and which agency is good?

Thanks

Andrea

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inca trail agency decision and Manu vs Pto Maldonado

Peru Treks, Quente and United Mice are all highly recommended.

I guess you now have to choose maybe based on prices ?

Manu takes at least 7 days, if you have such free time go and do it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inca trail agency decision and Manu vs Pto Maldonado

I hiked the Inca Trail in Sept 2005 with Enigma and could not praise them enough. Our guide Carlos was a combination naturalist, historian and spirit guide. There was not a question we posed that he could not answer. The porters and cooks were hard-working, friendly and seemed to be treated very well. The service was impeccable. I talked to hikers travelling with other companies along the way and the consensus seemed to be that we were getting the best service especially factoring in the cost. A friend of mine went with Enigma in Jan 06 and had essentially the same experience I did. If there is anymore information I can provide to be of help, please let me know.

Sandy

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Inca trail agency decision and Manu vs Pto Maldonado

Did the short inca trail last december with Q'ente, excellent & professional service.

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Inca trail agency decision and Manu vs Pto Maldonado

Sorry but I just had a cost from Inca Explorers who were recommended in the Footprint guide, has anyone got experience with them? Their group size is max 8 which is great for $408 including 1/2 porter and sleeping bag. Any ideas?

With regards to Amazon jungle, I know there are flights to Pto Maldonado, but if you go for the Manu option, where would you actually go to and are there flights or is it via land?

Muchas gracias

Andrea

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inca trail agency decision and Manu vs Pto Maldonado

$408 is a good price, specially for the group size.

To Manu you will have to drive, thats why it takes longer than going to P.Maldonado.

6. Re: Inca trail agency decision and Manu vs Pto Maldonado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2006, 11:17
Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inca trail agency decision and Manu vs Pto Maldonado

We are doing a 6 day Manu Trip with SAS in May. We are flying in to Boca Manu then traveling upriver by canoe into Manu Biosphere Reserve, then downriver to the Macaw Lick and on to Puerto Maldonado. We fly out of Puerto Maldonado back to Cusco. You lose a full day if you travel in to Boca Manu by bus.