We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

last shop question, knit goods/cool local knick knacks

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
last shop question, knit goods/cool local knick knacks

You were all so helpful telling me where the best places for weavings are. Could any of you also please recommend the best places to buy fun, local sweaters/knit goods, as well as authentic fun stuff, locally made, regional decor knick knacks, that sort of thing. Thank you!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: last shop question, knit goods/cool local knick knacks

At the Plaza Regocijo in Cusco city you will find several shops.

At the Pisac Market and at the Chincheros Market

And if you are passing thru Lima would recommend the Mercado Indio next to Hiraoka in Miraflores.

Hope this helps you!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: last shop question, knit goods/cool local knick knacks

If there are any children on your shopping list, they will love the knitted finger puppets. I bought most of mine from vendors on the streets around the Plaza de Armas in Cusco. I think they were about 1 sole each (maybe 2?)

I bought these: llamas, ducks, monkeys, sheep, lions, birds, and many more that I can't remember.

I also bought some really nice Alpaca hats at the shop at Awana Kancha llama farm & weaving center (about 1/2 way between Cusco & Pisac).

You can buy handmade ceramics at El Seminario pottery in Urubamba.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: last shop question, knit goods/cool local knick knacks

Also you can go to the Central Market San Pedro in Cusco, a friend of mine bought for me, last week, very nice things,

Usual precautions when going to the market.

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
920 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: last shop question, knit goods/cool local knick knacks

"Usual precautions when going to the market."

I don't think everyone on tripadvisor knows what the usual precautions are for San Pedro.

The correct answer, is to watch out for those annoying pickpockets.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: last shop question, knit goods/cool local knick knacks

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate your help, I am writing all of these down in my travel notebook. I am going to use a messenger bag on my front, clipped and zipped. I love the finger puppets, my daughter will love those.

Menen, Belgium
Level Contributor
256 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: last shop question, knit goods/cool local knick knacks

Agree with FalcoG, there are a dozen shops along the San Pedro Market, lower part, not the street with the San Pedro church. it's on the street (C/. Túpac Amaru) on the left at the market when coming from the Plaza de Armas or Plaza San Francisco.

Mundo Hemp has original t-shirts (Qanchipata 596)

Benigno Ponce de León Ojeda for small stonework Urb. Teneria L.A.I. – San Sebastián, in front of Colegio Pukllasunchis – Enaco or call him at 272.247

Pedazo de Arte, C/. Plateros, only 50 M from Plaza de Armas

Edited: 05 October 2011, 14:59
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: last shop question, knit goods/cool local knick knacks

The big tourist markets, eg Aguas Calientes and Pisac, and even the small market in Ollantaytambo are fine for that, as is Chinchero. Look also for the belts if you are hiking around the ruins you may find people selling them, they are the "beginners" project and you don't really need to buy them in the fair trade shops, just buy direct from the makers.

Yeah, the llama finger puppets were a great hit, especially if you can find the one with the mama and baby together. Also a big hit were the "owl" style carved gourds, there are some good gourd stalls at the Petit Thouars indian market in Lima, I asked for a volume discount. I usually browse thru one of the gift stores at the airport...and then use one/third of the airport price or Larcomar price as a guideline. Also lots and lots of ceramic stalls in Lima, I don't really care for the Seminario style but I like the Chulucana especially the burnished black pieces look great in modern homes.. Plus shopping for ceramics just before you return is a lot easier than lugging it all around the country.

Also, even the cheap scarves that may be an alpaca/acrylic or 100% acrylic blend were popular gifts. Just go for the nice style or colors (black and grey tweed was one we liked also a bright red background that works well for a Christmas shawl. Don't overpay..maybe $3 if you bargain well or $5 if you don't. Maybe they aren't authentic...but still better than something you can pickup at Target for $20. We actually wear them because we don't worry about losing them.

Edited: 05 October 2011, 20:17
evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: last shop question, knit goods/cool local knick knacks

Wow!! Great information, thank you!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: last shop question, knit goods/cool local knick knacks

Pedazo de Arte in Cusco (Plateros 334-B) is one of my favorite stores in all of Peru. It is owned by Japanese artist Mizi Suzuki. There are amazing handmade miniature gifts of Peruvian inspiration as well as clothes and handicrafts of high quality. I got my daughter a great little vintage kitchen cooking set complete with little pans, plates, etc...I also got beautiful handmade notecards by Miki - she happened to be in the store and happily signed them.

Houston
Level Contributor
786 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: last shop question, knit goods/cool local knick knacks

If you really want locally made stuff, ask where it was made. Often, they'll tell you the truth. I saw some lovely hats and sweaters in the village that our family lives in up in the mountains and the shop owner told me that they are shipped in from Puno, several hours away. Apparently, no one in that area knits because it is so much easier to get them brought in. (There are sheep everywhere, availablilty of materials is NOT the issue!)

The little finger puppets ARE very cool and there are tiny stuffed animals/figures, too--I thought they'd make great Christmas tree ornaments.

Earrings, small ceramics, and flutes are popular too. (Many teenagers get a kick out of the ocarinas because of a popular video game.)

Carved chess sets with the Inca figures opposing the Spaniards is a neat item, too.

When you are there, you'll see tons of stuff!