We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chance of Lan flight delay or cancelation from Lima to cuzco

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
chance of Lan flight delay or cancelation from Lima to cuzco

Already booked my trip with Awards ticket so heft fine for changing. I booked a ticket for LAN leaving Lima at 7:50 A.M for arrival in Cuzco at 9:50 A.M for August 30, 2012. What are the chances that the flight would be cancelled or delayed due to weather condition at that time of the year?

Should I pay the $40 penalty fee and book the lst flight out at 5:05 A.M instead of leave what I have?

thanks

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chance of Lan flight delay or cancelation from Lima to cuzco

7:50am sounds fine, nobody can predict the weather but Lan has many flights to Cusco and August is usually is a non rainy month

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chance of Lan flight delay or cancelation from Lima to cuzco

I was in Peru during the months of May/June and took 3 domestics flights. Two of the flights were with LAN and one with TACA and all three flights were delayed or the departure time was changed for one reason or another but all flights still went. Its just a reality or air travel in Peru. My Cusco to Lima flight with TACA was delayed (as was all other flights out at the time) because of weather but only by an hour or so and we had to wait for the LAN departures to take off first. At least LAN has so many flights per day you are assured to travel and I think someone at the airport at the time said LAN get preferred landing and take-off clearance as well so if theres a window in the weather it will most likely be LAN taking off.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chance of Lan flight delay or cancelation from Lima to cuzco

I will say check your flight departure schedule frequently for changes which you will not be notified about.

My wife and I were in Peru during the months of May/June and we flew to Peru with LAN and took two domestic flights within Peru with LAN as well. Both international flights as well as our LIM-AQP were delayed and our JUL-CUZ flight was rescheduled to depart almost an hour early than we had booked for but luckily we showed up early to the airport and the flight ended up being delayed by weather in Cusco.

We werent so lucky with a flight from Lima to Trujillo. We arrived at the airport with what we thought was tons of time to catch our flight only to discover that STAR PERU had rescheduled the flight to depart 12 hours earlier with no notice. Thankfully they refunded our money and we just ended up witha couple extra days in Lima insted.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: chance of Lan flight delay or cancelation from Lima to cuzco

I have two more internal flights with Lan. One from Cuzco to Arequipa Non stop which runs only on a Saturday leaving at 10:10 to 11 A.M. Then I have another one from Arequipa to Lima on the last flight at 5:25 P.M....I am hoping that the last flight to Lima won't be delayed. I sure hate to wait for flight out the next morning.

JodoKast- would you have been able to check on lan.com with your booking reference to find out about your flight being rescheduled earlier by 12 hours...usually it is later departure but by 12 hours is unheard of.

Edited: 05 November 2011, 15:01
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chance of Lan flight delay or cancelation from Lima to cuzco

You just have to keep checking. Whether you take an earlier or later flight you never know what they will do. I wouldn't pay the change fees.

I was in Peru the same time as Jodokast and it seemed to be a particularly bad month for reworking their schedules..my flight Iquitos to Lima was changed 3 times in the space of 24 hours, including from evening to morning and back again. I would hope in August high season it would be better.

Even if that nonstop Cuzco Arequipa is rerouted or changed they will get you there by going thru Lima.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: chance of Lan flight delay or cancelation from Lima to cuzco

Thanks for the info from everyone...I know that Lima has fog in the morning but does anyone think it is "safe" to take the last flight from Arequipa to Lima meaning it won't be canceled.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: chance of Lan flight delay or cancelation from Lima to cuzco

Fog in Lima pretty much all day! When you look at the monthly weather charts and see "rain" it's just condensing fog.

eg this past August 2011

wunderground.com/history/…calendar

Edited: 07 November 2011, 17:51
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: chance of Lan flight delay or cancelation from Lima to cuzco

In August normally no rain in the Cusco region, so no reason to encounter flight cancellations. Delays yes, like in any country in the world,

Its the high season for traveling to Cusco, so crowds are to be expected.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: chance of Lan flight delay or cancelation from Lima to cuzco

I was in Peru and few to cuzco from lima with no delays in the month of october

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
45 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: chance of Lan flight delay or cancelation from Lima to cuzco

The chances of having a rain delay in August are very low. As always when traveling, you have to remain a little flexible as delays do happen due to a variety of circumstances. You might have the best weather of the year, but be delayed for aircraft maintenance.

I'd stick with the time you have, LAN has lots of flights later in the day if needed. If you are really worried and don't mind the fee, then you can change it.