We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CUZ-LIM: Any problems with cancellations - overbooking?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
CUZ-LIM: Any problems with cancellations - overbooking?

Have booked a LAN flight from CUZ-LIM, departs at 15:30 pm, arrives LIM at 16:50 PM. Travel date is mid-May.

I have read where sometimes the weather may cancel flights, or maybe passengers may have to be bumped due to overbooking.

I am a concerned about this because I am continuing on with a late evening, same day, connecting flight in LIM. It's a United flight to IAH, not even a partner with LAN. My United flight is not till 23:45 PM, so I'd have plenty of time to connect to the UA flight, but I am just concerned about getting to LIM.

Should I be concerned? Do I have to arrive early at CUZ to check in? How early? Thanks for any information.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CUZ-LIM: Any problems with cancellations - overbooking?

Weather can indeed cancel flights in & out of Cusco. Especially vulnerable are afternoon flights, as that tends to be the time of day when weather kicks up there.

Many recommend a return to Lima the day before -- then overnight in Lima to be sure you don't miss your international flight. Or at least an early morning flight from Cusco to Lima.

Edited: 29 December 2011, 17:44
Lima
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CUZ-LIM: Any problems with cancellations - overbooking?

I think you will be all right. Starting mid April there is a dry season in Andes/Cuzco, so, it is unlikely that the weather will be a problem. Concerning overbooking/technical issues, well, they do happen in any weather, just try to explain your situation with the connecting flight. I believe LAN has 2 or 3 more flights from CUZ to LIM the same day after 15.30, so they may put you on one of those in case something happens. I had a similar issue with AA at Lima flying to Miami, when the flight got cancelled and I had a connection flight from Miami with Lufthansa, and AA was very accommodating making sure I was not going to miss my connection and even checked my luggage all the way through to Frankfurt. Safe travels!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CUZ-LIM: Any problems with cancellations - overbooking?

Actually flights can be cancelled for many reasons. Not just rain in Cusco, eg in May you may have fog in Lima. Or equipment malfunction. Or flight rescheduling for no known reason.

AA and LAN are partners w code share/oneWorld.

OP is flying United/Continental.

If you must do the itinerary without an overnight, do buy trip insurance or you may be forking over $1000+ for a new ticket. Safer to return the prior day, many people are surprised at how much they like Lima.

Lima
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CUZ-LIM: Any problems with cancellations - overbooking?

Jorge Chavez Airport (LIM) is being upgraded to ILS CAT III. The work is to be done by January 31st, 2012 and the new system will help greatly to eliminate problems with fog landings in Lima. Having a trip insurance is always a great idea.Safe travels!

5. Re: CUZ-LIM: Any problems with cancellations - overbooking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2013, 10:21