We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to MP

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to MP

I need some help to get the timing right for this.

I plan to arrive in Lima on Saturday, May 26 in the early afternoon and fly out to Sao Paolo on Tuesday, May 29 in the afternoon.

What is the quickest way to get to MP and the most effecient way to book this?

Where should I stay the nights of May 26, 27 and 28?

Thank you for any help.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to MP

With such a limited time you wont be able to see everything. You should be able to see Machu Picchu, most if not all the sights in Cusco, and a maybe a little of the Sacred Valley (Ollantaytambo).

You should book entrance tickets to Machu Picchu as soon as you know your travel dates as the number of people allowed into the site each day is now limited.

http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe

You will also need to coordinate flights and train tickets as it would be a shame to have entrance tickets but no way to get there.

You will need to fly from Lima to Cusco. The following airlines have flights to Cusco.

www.lan.com DO NOT BOOK BASE OR BASE PLUS FARES

www.taca.com DO NOT BOOK PROMO FARES

www.starperu.com

www.peruvianairlines.pe

Once in Cusco you need to take a train to Aguas Calientes. www.perurail.com has trains departing from Poroy (near Cusco) as well as Urubamba and Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley. www.incarail.com and www.machupicchutrain.com only have trains departing from Ollantaytambo. I suggest travelling to Ollantaytambo and taking the train from there. Its faster, cheaper , and there are more departures to choose from including evening trains so you can sightsee in the Sacred Valley that day and catch a train to Aguas Calientes that night. Once in Aguas Calientes its a short bus ride up to Machu Picchu and you can buy bus tickets right before boarding the bus. Buses operate from 5:30AM - 5:30PM and theres a bus every 20 minutes or so.

This is how I would do it...

MAY 26:

-Arrive in Lima

-Flight to Cusco

-Taxi from airport to Ollantaytambo

-Evening train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes

-Spend the night in Aguas Calientes

MAY 27:

-Machu Picchu

-Evening train back to Ollantaytambo.

-Taxi to Cusco

-Spend the night in Cusco

MAY 28:

-Cusco

-Afternoon flight to Lima?

With you having to catch a flight out from Lima on May 29 normally I would suggest travelling to Lima day before at least because flight delays and/or cancellations can be quite common in Peru especially at the Cusco airport because of the weather patterns at this altitude. You will have to decide either to cut your time in Cusco short and head to Lima the afternoon of May 28 or risk in and fly out first thing in the morning on May 29.

This website will be able to give you more info on Peru...

www.andeantravelweb.com/peru

2. Re: Planning a trip to MP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 February 2012, 14:35
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to MP

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294314-d2…

I wonder why there are people "thanking" a certain "Matt Steeves" for arranging the trip for them in the reviews.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 23:18
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to MP

well spotted...

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,445 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to MP

And what are the odds of sooo-oooo many people joining TA in the last month simply to write a review of this company? Only one has more than one contribution. Bet none of the others ever post again.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to MP

Thank you so very much. But will not be going as Aussies need a visa and I do not have time to get a visa between now and the end of May as need my passport. Really Aussies needing to get a visa? None necessary for Europe...guess huge risk Aussies will stay and not leave Peru!

Edited: 24 February 2012, 22:53
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a trip to MP

don't think Aussies need visa....

Australia
Level Contributor
178 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a trip to MP

You don't need a visa for Peru if you are travelling on an Australian passport, the purpose of the visit is tourism and your stay is less than ~6 months.

This is the link to the page for the Peruvian embassy in Australia.

http://www.embaperu.org.au/embassy/visas.html

However, you will need a visa for Brazil if using an Australian passport.

Peru is a great place to travel, there's plenty to do there.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a trip to MP

Thank you. Have a 5 year visa forBrazilfor work, so not an issue. Great news on the visa for Peru - thank you, thank you, thank you!

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
45 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning a trip to MP

Went this weekend and it was spectacular! Ended up using a local tour company that did all my bookings - hotels, flights, trains and guides.