We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-Touristy Cusco

Manhattan Beach, CA
Level Contributor
10 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Non-Touristy Cusco

I will be in Cusco in the beginning of June with my brothers and a friend for a couple of days before we begin the Inca Trail.

There are lots of great forums with tips for the Inca trail (thank you!) but now we're planning what to do for our days in Cusco. Ideally, we would like to stay away from tourist traps and see the real Cusco. Any advice? Places to eat? Things to do? The best bar in town?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-Touristy Cusco

There are lots to do at Cusco. No doubt Plaza de Aramas is touristy but there are numerous churches, monasteries and plazas there. Cannot say they are very touristy, specially if they are not included in Bolero Touristico.

If you have separate plans for sacred valley, one day you can do the city tour of your own and the other day you can hire a taxi and can go to nearby small ruins and trek to Sacsayhuaman.

At cusco other than the usual places like Cathedral and Plaza de Aramas, I liked the convent to sneak peak in a 16th century nun's life style, The San Blas church for the unbelievable exquisite curving of the pulpit, very impressed by the cultural show at Centro Qosqo de Arte Nativo and the home of Inca Garcilaso de la Vega. Don't miss the video shows there, very important to understand the history of Cusco. I am not an art connoisseur but if you are then probably one day is not enough at Cusco. All the churches, museums are treasure trove of art works. Didnot like the museums at Cusco though, just visiting one should be enough as most of them are similar and not well organized. The best museum to visit should be Museo Larco at Lima.

For restaurant and bars, I guess there are too many choices to give suggestions. Read the restaurant section.

Long Island NY
Level Contributor
793 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-Touristy Cusco

go to the public market. there will be toruists, but once you get past the places selling trourist junk it is really cool.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-Touristy Cusco

Why not obtain a copy of Fodor's Peru...or any similar type of travel guide will give you "behind the scenes" tips on where to go to get off of the beaten path from tourists?

If you don't want to spend the money on these books, go to your local library or to a Barnes and Nobles to read and jot down notes. You still have plenty of time to prepare before your trip. Enjoy!

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-Touristy Cusco

Maybe it was because it's the slow season, but I didn't really see that many "tourists." That said, I totally second the market. And simply walking around some of the back streets, away from the main plazas, you will see all kinds of locals selling and buying their goods and just going about their everyday lives.

5. Re: Non-Touristy Cusco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2013, 20:46
6. Re: Non-Touristy Cusco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 04:17