We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peru travel

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong kong
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Peru travel

I would like to travel at Peru but I afraid about the altitude illness! I want to know how height of Cusco, and any portable oxygen appliances for visitor to buy at Lima or at Cusco? Any medical centre or public hospital nearby Cusco if I suffering from altitude illness can easily to admit? Please feel free to reply for me if anyone know the answers? Thank you!

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Peru travel

Cusco is at 3350 masl

Before arriving to Cusco, you can take the soroche pills is so good for your body(is advisable to drink 6 hours before arriving to Cusco)

Also when you arrive to Cusco you can drink coca tea good as well.

Cheers

Edited: 13 April 2012, 23:43
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peru travel

Almost all hotels in Cusco and nearby have oxygen tanks.

There are hospitals also in Cusco so that would not be a problem

Nobody knows if the altitude will hit you or not.

The best way I know is to relax upon arrival, rest in your room for an hour, try to walk slowly, eat light

Hope this helps

Colorado
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Peru travel

I saw at the airport a kiosk where you can buy portable oxygen bottles. Don't know anything about the reputation or the effectiveness, though.

Here is a link: …travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peru travel

The other recommendation is to gradually go up in altitude, rather than hit it all at once. For visiting Peru -- especially the Cusco or Lake Titicaca area-- this usually means going directly to the Sacred Valley upon arrival at the Cusco Airport, instead of staying immediately in Cusco. The Sacred Valley is about 2000ft lower than Cusco, at an altitude that is usually easier to deal with. From there, you can visit Machu Picchu (lower still at 8000ft), then finally end up in Cusco, where you will probably be acclimatized. Save Lake Titicaca until the end. If you plan to trek the Inca Trail, the ideal would be to spend a couple of days in the Sacred Valley, then a couple of days in Cusco before embarking on the trek.

There is a hospital in Cusco, where people suffering from serious AMS can be treated. Most of the hotels have oxygen tanks available for guests in need, as well as doctors on call. Note that most people visiting Cusco have only mild problems with AMS -- and some lucky ones have none at all!

Keep yourself well hydrated, eat lightly (more carb than protein), avoid alcohol & smoking. You can take the usual medications you use for headache or gastrointestinal symptoms, should they occur. You can also investigate the use of Diamox to help the acclimatization. This should be approved by your doctor, though.

More information here: http://www.altitude.org/altitude_sickness.php

5. Re: Peru travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:42