We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in San Blas or near Plaza De Armas

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in San Blas or near Plaza De Armas

I am looking for a place to stay which really captures the ambiance of Cuzco and am not sure which area is really best. We will be in Cuzco for two days, after SV and before Inca Trail. My goal for Cuzco is to be relaxed, enjoy the feel of the place and only do the amount of museums, tourist activities that feels right. We will be seeing ruins in SV and MP, so at this point we probably won't be making any huge efforts to get out of the city and see the ones right near Cuzco.

A lot of reviews for hotels will rank them poorly because they are too far from the Plaza de Armas - 2 blocks, 1/2 block, 5 blocks or the by minutes away - 3 minutes, 15 minutes, 4 minute cab drive, etc.

Is it really important to be near the Plaza de Armas? Will we be spending a lot of our time in that area? What makes the San Blas area special. Some reviewers also said they like that area.

In your opinion, what would make you choose one location over the other?

Thanks so much in advance. I'm struggling with choosing through the vast amount of hotel choices and this would really help.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in San Blas or near Plaza De Armas

Which hotels have caught your attention?

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in San Blas or near Plaza De Armas

We liked the Rumi Punku, which is about 1/2 way between the two plazas: http://rumipunku.com/

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in San Blas or near Plaza De Armas

Rumi Punku is a very good choice, also you can look into the Tierra Viva Hotels

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in San Blas or near Plaza De Armas

Some people may not like climbing up steep hills to get to and from hotel. Hence the comments. Virtually everywhere in Cusco is uphill. Good for preparing for the trek but not for all tourists. Hence complaints about distance.

I stayed in Hostal El Balcon off a side street a few blocks from the Plaza, not in San Blas. I liked it.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in San Blas or near Plaza De Armas

I stayed at Rumi Punku and LOVED it! The rooms were clean, the hotel was cozy and had an authentic feel, the service was impeccable.. And all for a price that you can't beat. I would highly recommend it. It was a ~7 minute walk to both San Blas and Plaza de Armas

South Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in San Blas or near Plaza De Armas

I haven't looked through all the hotels yet, but so far.... Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza is our first choice.

I was initially rejecting hotels that were too far far from the plaza, but later saw some people talking about the lovely San Blas district and how the enjoyed the walk and being removed.

We've NEVER been to Peru and I don't really know what I'm doing, so I thought I'd try to see if staying in San Blas is ever preferred over being closer to the Plaza. My main mission in Cusco is to soak in the essence of the city and not be overwhelmed by activities (we have the rest of the vacation for that).

Also, when staying in Sacred Valley, I felt like there were a lot of good choices for hotels/hostels and B&B's and I haven't felt the same way about Cusco.

I want a place that is clean, modern/comfy, has excellent customer service and a degree of Peruvian ambiance. It doesn't have to be perfect at all - customer service to me is the most important thing. We can bring headphones and sleep masks if needed. I do want some comfort though. The next four days we will be camping and it may be nice to enjoy a romantic relaxing time in Cusco where we can choose whether to be out or stay in a tiny bit.

I had about 5 hotels that I had marked down before writing this, but just went through and eliminated 4 of them. Like I said, this was skipping over the ones that were in San Blas.

Our budget is $80-$120, but as usual, the lower the better. If we had to pay more we could (it's only for two days).

My husband and I are in good physical condition, so the walk to San Blas wouldn't be a problem physically.

Concerns/Questions about San Blas:

- Is it safe to walk in at night or will we have to worry about taxis?

- Are there restaurants/shop is in the area? Do people hang out there?

- Is everything at the plaza? If that's the place to be, may be better to stay close.

Concerns/Questions about Plaza:

- Will we be missing out on a fun/unique cultural experience, maybe more off the beaten path if we stay at the plaza?

- Is the plaza too touristy?

Thanks for responding. I spent hours this morning going over all this and still felt very lost. Trying to get this all squared away in advance.

Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in San Blas or near Plaza De Armas

I stayed in the Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza and thought the service was terrific - they treated me like they knew me. Bent over backwards for a couple of requests that I had.

It is modern, not far from the Plaza de Armas but on a very quiet side street. And it is very easy to walk uphill on the same street to get to the Saqsaywauman ruin - a very scenic way to approach the ruin.

I believe it is in your price range, too.

charlotte

Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in San Blas or near Plaza De Armas

Just a couple of other comments about the Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza:

The decor is modern, but with some nice Peruvian touches. Also, the included breakast is bountiful. The coffee is not great, though, if that is a deal breaker.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 03:44
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in San Blas or near Plaza De Armas

Being in good physical condition has no correlation to how altitude will affect you. Especially for the first few days if you are flying in to Cusco as your first stop. If this is so pick a hotel that can be reached by taxi. Since you will be in SV for a few days before you should be partly acclimated but even after 3 days in Ollantaytambo, Cusco still gavemea headache.

Walking is okay until about 10 pm.

Edited: 28 April 2012, 03:53
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,289 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in San Blas or near Plaza De Armas

Casa San Blas or any of the Casa Andina hotels are fine and close to the Plaza and located in San Blas area.