We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback riding to Maras/Moray?

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
62 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Horseback riding to Maras/Moray?

My husband and I definitely want to visit the Maras/Moray area, but we are not sure if we should do it via horseback or not. We are in good shape, but we've only ridden horses a handful of times, and very casually. Who has gone on a horseback trip to this area and can comment? Is it better to go via this method, or do the whole "hire a driver" route? A third option would be to join a mountain biking trip.

So far I've come across two companies that offer this trip, Cusco for You and Rancho el Chalan.

Any insights will be appreciated!

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
166 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Horseback riding to Maras/Moray?

I actually had the same question as the original post. Can anyone else please share an opinion on this? I am definitely going to Maras/Moray/Salineras. It will either be with a guide & transport OR the same guide and horseback riding to those same places.

Would I have an opportunity to see more beautiful scenery on horseback?

Thanks for any feedback!

Edited: 17 March 2013, 03:59
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
39 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Horseback riding to Maras/Moray?

Im not an expert on this.... but before visiting Peru we were thinking of biking to Maras/ Moray from our hotel.. So, glad we didnt. The terrain is steep and is in the middle of nowhere. I didnt see any signs for horseback riding or biking for that matter. So my advice would be to skip it.

23. Re: Horseback riding to Maras/Moray?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 June 2013, 00:05
Lima, Peru
3 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Horseback riding to Maras/Moray?

Write to Maras Adventure they have a very good horses and is cheaper

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
146 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Horseback riding to Maras/Moray?

It was spectacular via horseback but it's a long 4 hours if you aren't used to sitting on a horse. Several breaks but still it's tough on the bum. I'd do it again in a heartbeat though! At the time I was riding about once a month.

san francisco
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Horseback riding to Maras/Moray?

I posted a separate query about horseback riding with kids ages 10 & 8 but have no responses. KB Tambo only takes 16 years or older as a safety precaution, which I appreciate. Being advanced beginners, I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that did a 1/2 day ride that kids could go on as well? Sorry to piggy back on this post.....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,090 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Horseback riding to Maras/Moray?

sfgotrip,

I read about Cusco Viajes on a travel blog. I haven't used them but I believe they offer such a ride.

http://cuscoperuviajes.com/

Lima, Peru
3 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Horseback riding to Maras/Moray?

Write to Maras Adventure they have a very good horses and is cheaper

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
144 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Horseback riding to Maras/Moray?

We went with our tour guide to Maras/Moray but we did do a 2 hour horseback riding tour of the sacred valley. We chose this shorter tour since we had NEVER been on horses before and wanted to experience the Peruvian horses we have read about. We had a great time and used Hacienda Del Chalan in Ollantaytambo. http://www.ranchoelchalancusco.com/English/. Their prices were more reasonable and their horses are very well taken care of.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: Horseback riding to Maras/Moray?

We did a trip to Perol chico on the 31st of April www.perolchico.com , we booked the 3 day trip 2 nights. Me and my friend Danah al adrees. Our first day during our arrival we where welcomed by Eduardo the owner of the ranch and his wife Maria. everything seemed fine, we had a great lunch and Eduardo gave us an introduction to the horses and how to ride peruvian style.

However, little did we know. During our first ride everything went fine, lunch was on time the rides where beautiful and the horses where good. we had payed maria and eduardo via paypal and danah had payed in cash 980 dollars. No reciept was given though.

However, during our ride we got to know eduardo more, me and danah I am only 23 years old dana is 32. It is our first time in Peru we don.t know anythign other then what we read and have researched. Eduardo had alot of sexual comments, he always spoke about sex and to a certain extent where I come from in dubai we call this sexual harrasment but having paid for the trip and being alone with him and his grooms in the mountains we did not know what to say and everytime we would change the subject he would simply say why are you changing the subject, all his comments had something sexual.

He then told us how he met his wife maria, who got raped and had a child from her previous man when she was a teenager around 15 or 14 and how he took her under his wings, however he referred to her as his partner as he does not believe in marriage, anyways the sexual talks went on, me and danah tried to avoid it and focus on the trip we had paid for although it was very uncomfortable.

He would say things like when we where close to moray on our last day and we were having lunch at our lunch stop he had hired a chef to cook guinne pigs small hamsters for us , and he would throw comments like the hamsters had a good life they always f**** they f**** very quickly same as the people in the cold .

or when i asked him if he horse rides bare back he grabbed his balls and said no i need to take care of my balls and said in his exact words i have so much sperm that sometimes it shoots out of my ears.

ofcourse me and danah, alone with him did not reply but try to ignore?!

Now here is where the issue started. So during our three day ride Maria his ] ( wife, or should i say partner) was the one who organized all the meals and the hotel we stayed at Sonesta Pasado del inca in urbamba which is a three star hotel so after our trip we asked to extened our stay in the hotel and MARIAH said

She would organize our stay at the hotel as she is friends with monca the concierge manager and with people at the hotel and she would get it for half price, but we would have to pay her cash so from the 2nd until the 5th , and she would organize our trip to MACHUPICHU

She said the total cost of tickets is 500 $ plus the hotel is 510 in total 1010 $ for both me and danah, us being naive and new and trusting of EDUARDO AND MARIA at PEROL CHICO, thought they where honest they said they where doing us a favor and she wasnt gaining anything out of this.

So we told her we would pay her cash 1010 for the hotel and for the tickets to machu pichu, so what happened was. She gave us the tickets on the 4th and informed us today that we needed to leave the hotel and go to another one when we had already paid her the price. we said we would not leave as we had paid her in full and it was not fair to me and danah, it was lies and cheating.

She then came to the hotel, clearly her and the lady at the reception in sonesta hotel had a deal between each other so they would get as much money out of the 1010 dollars already GIVEN. She called us names crazy and that eduardo wasnt going to come and she only refunded us 170 $ dollars. which danah had to grab out of her hands, and she lied to us the tickets only costs 50 dollars plus th ebus tickets are around 25 so intotal it custed 75 dollars each when she said it costed her 500 dollars and her and EDUARDO FROM PEROL CHICO where not gaining anything out of it.

Then Brenda from sonesta hotel, was kind enough to explain things she was the only professional lady she was so angry at mariah from perol chico and how she cheated us leaving me and DANAH in a very bad situtation because the hotel had already informed mariah 2 days before that there was no space and me and danah thought we had already paid everything MARIAH STOLE THE MONEY AND DID NOT EVEN PAY THE HOTEL. so we were left today in a situation where we were stuck for 7 hours the hotel offered us to stay the night for 170 but both me and danah said no we did not want any linkage .

When we asked th ehotel to call the tourist police they said they where on holiday and when we asked them to call the police they said no there is no point, and they gave us the wrong numbers because we just checked in a 5 star hotel called Tambo del inca, where they handled us today with professional care, and called the police who are meeting us tomorrow! so obviously the staff at Sonesta Pasado in Urumbamba are LIENG and are all in a cruel game with mariah.

So during our dispute we asked MONICA the general manager at the reception to provide us with reciepts to for proof that mariah booked us the hotel so we could hsow the police and claim our money she had stolen from us back, monica looked at me and danah in a dirty way and said watch your language and how you look at each other in arabic okay remember where youare, BLACKMAILING US, so i exploded and screamed at her how dare she teach me ettiqate when we had done nothing wrong.

clearly she was unhappy because she was in the game with mariah I am 100 %

my advice would be DO NOT go to www.perolchico.com or book at Sonesta its a dirty game, we have been sexually harrased by eduardo and treated with disrespect at Sonesta by the general manager the only nice professional person was Brenda who was stuck in between and could not do anything.

Eduardo even told us about the german or french lady who owns the ranch beside him called wacay how he used to date her and when she found out he was cheating she had called the police and written about it him in news papers ruining his reputation I wish me and danah had taken this as a sign ..

ANYONE GOING TO CUSCO OR SACRED VALLEY PLEASE BE CAREFUL , the only hotel I would recommened is TAMBO DEL INKA who have taken care of us , and ensured our saftey and police..

be very careful of people like MARIAH , they are scams and frauds she is the PARTNER or www.perolchico.com eduardo!

THis is my review, i am 23 years old danah is 32 never ever would we ever come back or deal with them she stole 1,010 dollars from us and refunded us only with 170 $ she is a fruad !!