We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Boston or NY?

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
179 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from Boston or NY?

We're a family volunteering in Cusco for a week in July 2013. I'm looking at flights on Travelocity for a few days before to about five days after the volunteer commitment. Flights from Boston are about $1400 RT and there is one option from JFK for $900, flying Copa Airlines thru Panama City. Any advice?

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Boston or NY?

Have a look at flights with LAN www.lan.com as well as TACA www.taca.com

Both airlines operate domestic flights in Peru too and sometimes have deals where you get a domestic flight for cheap or even free. Also dont limit yourself to searching for flights all the way to Cusco. If you can find a good deal on a flight just to Lima you can seperately book the LIM-CUZ flight with a domestic carrier such as LAN, TACA, StarPeru www.starperu.com or PeruvianAirlines www.peruvianairlines.pe

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Boston or NY?

It's probably too soon to be looking at flights for July 2013 -- there are likely to be many reductions (plus some increases) between now & then. There are websites you can used to get notified of changes in airfares. (even on Trip Advisor).

Also, look at a different search agency. Kayak lists American Airlines flights from Boston for much less than $1400, as well as COPA flights for about $685 (JFK) and also low prices for TACA. Some airlines (I think American is one) are no longer listing with agencies like Travelocity. American Airlines codeshares with LAN.

Check these airfare search engines: http://matrix.itasoftware.com or

kayak.com/flights#/…2013-07-26

And there are many other airfare search sites, I've only listed two.

Edit: JodoKast gives good advice, too. I was still writing my post while his posted. Mainly, you want to look at airfare to Lima, then add the domestic flights after.

Edited: 16 September 2012, 05:25
New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Boston or NY?

Also look at flights from Miami - most of the flights to South America go from there. Then you grab a cheapo flight Boston - MIA and you are all set.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
179 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Boston or NY?

So far I'm looking at JFK to LIM with Copa and then booking to Cuzco with Star Peru. $2500 for three of us. And I'm watching the fares. Thanks. I'll take all the advice I can get.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Boston or NY?

Be careful about leaving off flights to Cuzco from your ticket. Advice above is based on situations that may be outdated or not compatible with your peak travel times. You can price tickets on LAN, TACA, Star Peru and Peruvian Airlines for Lima to Cuz just to get an idea.

I would look into Kayak and keep looking into flying out if New York.

Taca is Codesharing with United now. If you have (or can get) miles.

Edited: 16 September 2012, 15:09
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from Boston or NY?

And Lan is with American Airlines and also have flights from Lax and SFO direct to Lima from where you can connect to Cusco for a low fare.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
179 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from Boston or NY?

Leaving from Miami or the west coast won't be cost effective. I live in Boston and can drive to a friend's near JFK. I may look into bundling the trip to CUZ since I will likely want to go straight there, then getting a flight at the end from CUZ to Lima. jodoKast recommended The bigger airlines for the domestic trip due to delays.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
18 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights from Boston or NY?

Just got back from Peru a couple of weeks ago. We flew from Avianca to Lima stopping in Bogota. Decent airline, no baggage charges for up to two bags! Each seat had its own screen with games, movies, etc. We flew out of Washington Dulles and at the time was the best price. I always check several area airports before booking. I found United/Continental had non-stop flights out of Newark, NJ for very reasonable prices if you want to check them. Airfare is fickle as it changes daily or hourly. I have had airfare go up in price while booking!! Keep checking daily. If you wait to buy too long all seats may be sold out, but on the other hand if sales are slow you might get a great price, it is a gamble. We flew StarPeru from Lima to Cusco. The planes are not as new as Lan or Taca but they seemed fine and the price is much lower. I hope this helps.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights from Boston or NY?

Hello

have you checked from New Jersey ... Have a look !!

Goodluck!

Carolina

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
828 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights from Boston or NY?

We took the Newark - Lima United/Continental Flight after the flight from Portland back in mid April. THe flight wasn't bad at all with in seat video and one free bag and a meal. We used LAN for our flights within Peru and Ecuador and United again from Quito to Portland.