We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self drive in the Sacred Valley

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
self drive in the Sacred Valley

We are considering picking up a car at the Cusco airport to go to Urubamba and exploring the Sacred Valley for 3 days. My husband loves to drive in 3rd world countries!

Anyone have ideas/suggestions?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self drive in the Sacred Valley

It will be cheaper and safer to hire a car with a driver.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self drive in the Sacred Valley

I don't believe there are any places to hire a car from at the airport, but you will find 3 car hire places on Avenida El Sol closer to the historic center. Try Manu Renta Car, they have good rates on Toyota SUV's which are great for exploring.

I am not too sure why people comment that it is unsafe to driver from Cusco to the Sacred Valley. The road is paved and wide. In my opinion a local taxi driver is far more unsafe than driving yourself.

If you are staying in the Sacred Valley, make sure that you use a hotel with a closed car park, or some locals may find the need to takes parts of your car overnight.

Cusco
Level Contributor
250 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: self drive in the Sacred Valley

Nice idea but the Sacred Valley is actually pretty small,so it would only take a few hours to drive the whole thing.Roughly 5 hours if you just drove so I am not sure if that is what you are looking for.

As for the driving- probably no worse than third world countries, which Peru is not by they way.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: self drive in the Sacred Valley

I wonder what you and your husband think "a 3rd world country" is.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: self drive in the Sacred Valley

On your third paragraph you are already stating one unsafe situation and very few parking areas as well.

In general, its not easy nor safe to drive in Peru. Not cheap either at US$ 6 a galon.

What are we talking about ? Peru IS a third world country

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
45 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: self drive in the Sacred Valley

My husband also loves to drive himself but we have decided not to do this in Peru as I read quite a bit of advice against doing so. In addition, from what I understand, it is less expensive to take a taxi to travel around than it is to rent a car.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: self drive in the Sacred Valley

Good thinking, at least you are following what the experts recommend.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: self drive in the Sacred Valley

Thanks for all your comments. Can anyone recommend a guide to show us around for a couple of days?

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: self drive in the Sacred Valley

I personally have driven in many countries around the world, and I can confirm that driving from Cusco ro the Sacred Valley is not dangerous, in-fact I would say it is quite pleasurable. xochitl has obviously never driven in Europe, where fuel prices are double that in Peru.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: self drive in the Sacred Valley

Amigo, I have lived overseas for 20 years and driven in places like Egypt, Libya, many European and Asian countries with the steering wheel on the right hand side, etc,etc.

Do not tell me I do not know about driving in Peru. I am giving my opinion. You just give yours but do not say what I know or do not know, you know nothing about me.