We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain Lodges of Peru

Minot, North Dakota
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Mountain Lodges of Peru

So we have booked a trek to MP through Mountain Lodges of Peru. I they are very responsive and answered all my questions in a very timely fashion. The company was super helpful so we are very excited about our trip. The prices for the treks are all listed on the website. So after about 2 weeks of back and forth I booked the trip and provided my cc information for the non-refundable down payment of $500. The trip is very expensive but seems to be a neat and more luxurious approach to the MP trek. I received the invoice via email and we were charged $300 addition dollars per person. I was shocked! We were going out on a limb spending the amount quoted but an additional $600 was an overwhelming idea. I emailed the company immediately about the discrepancy of the price charged vs. the quoted price. My response was as follows:

Inflation of course!!

Haha, I am half-serious, but basically prices rise slightly every year. Perhaps they have not changed the website.

$2,990 is the low-season 2014 price…..Let´s celebrate!

Uhm, anyway, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Best regards,

xxxxxxxxx

As you can imagine this was even more upsetting. But I have now been locked into my non-refundable $1000 deposit and now my trip is an additional $600 I planned on spending on food and neat souvenirs. I expressed how important it was to express the price change to future customers before taking their deposit. The response was "noted"

:( Boo!

I thought it was important to share.

So just beware and always make sure they are planning on charging you what you read you are being charged.

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
922 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain Lodges of Peru

It's not clear from your post, what their response was. Which text is from them?

Minot, North Dakota
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain Lodges of Peru

Inflation of course!!

Haha, I am half-serious, but basically prices rise slightly every year. Perhaps they have not changed the website.

$2,990 is the low-season 2014 price…..Let´s celebrate!

Uhm, anyway, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Best regards,

xxxxxxxxx

Is the response I recieved.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain Lodges of Peru

Not the most professional response in the world.

I have noticed that it is not at all unusual for websites to never be updated. And it seems to be standard practice for prices to go up at the beginning of every year. For example, it is typical for the government to raise the prices for entry to Machu Picchu.

Did you have any form of communication from the agency before you booked, that gave you a price for the 2014 date? If so I would look for any fine print related to pricing. Maybe there is nothing and you can get them to honor the 2013 price but I doubt it.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain Lodges of Peru

What are you getting for three grand? For one or two people? Does this include airfare from North Dakota? Is this a Peru based company? There is only so much luxury you can get on the trek. You gotta walk. Food can only vary so much. Glad I only paid $120 when I did it. One of the most overrated treks in the Andes. On all return trips I've taken people by train.

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
922 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain Lodges of Peru

Wow, that is an extraordinarily unprofessional email. I would expect better from a high school dropout who is smoking pot with his buddies at the gas station while writing emails on his iphone.

The real reason the price is increasing is because humans are greedy, and their tour is very successful. So they are going to squeeze as much cash out of you as possible.

103billw, the reason that this trek is so much more luxurious than a normal salkantay trek is because people stay in lodges along the way. No camping is required, staying in a luxurious lodge in the middle of the wilderness with a jacuzzi is lot more appealing for people who are 40+ years old and have a lot of cash to burn. Plus the food is gourmet, better service, etc.

Noone pays $120 USD nowadays, that wouldn't cover anything. Just the price of operation (the amount the backpacker tour agencies have to pay in expenses) is close to $170 USD. That is without making any profit at all.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
570 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mountain Lodges of Peru

We over 40 folks did this trip a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. The lodges are very nice, the food very good, the hiking & guides really good as well. We had no issues with our booking - everything was as promised, however, it all depends on clarifying questions up front. I agree websites don't have the most updated info in many cases so it's the buyer's responsibility to ask the questions.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mountain Lodges of Peru

How long ago was the trek $120??!!! 1970?

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mountain Lodges of Peru

It's pretty common for Travel Companies to advertise prices based on the current season. If the trip you booked was identical to the website and pricing on the website though there should have been clarification and a disclaimor either on the website and most importantly on the information they sent you before booking the trip if it was going to be more expensive. Before sending a deposit to book a trip the price should have been clarified by your contact based on the actual rate or at the very least there should have been a disclaimor noting that the price could increase based on the next season/years prices as well. If there was no such disclamor on the website or information they sent you when booking you have a reasonable claim to ask them to honor the original price.

Minot, North Dakota
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mountain Lodges of Peru

No airfare and it is very expensive. 103billw I can't believe you got to go that cheap! I couldn't find anything for under $400 to hike. My trip is also 7 days all meals not 4 with some meals. But I haven't ever done anything this fancy in my travels I usually stay in B&B or Hostels only honestly. But this sounded like a unique experience and we have bad backs lol! I am not over 40 and can barely afford this but the reviews sold me. It was my fault not to clarify the price before I sent the deposit. I am still very upset with the company for thinking it is ok to advertise a different price and not inform me that my price is $300 more than advertised. BUT it is what it is and too late to complain anymore. I just hope someone looking to book this trip read the post and is prompted to inquire about the price before ending up in the same situation.

10. Re: Mountain Lodges of Peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 05:16