We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Cusco to the various ruins

Buenos Aires...
4 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Cusco to the various ruins

A few friends and I are planning to spend a week in Cusco to see all the ruins in the area and to see all that Cusco has to offer. We were going to rent a house for the week and from there see the various ruins. Is this feasible? How do we get around without renting a car? Would it make more sense to stay in a few different places?

It's hard for me to tell where everything is and how much it will cost to get around. Any information is greatly appreciated!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Cusco to the various ruins

If there are several of you a taxi is not very expensive. If you search through the forums you will also find recommendations for private guides as well as taxis.. You can also find taxis waiting for fares in popular tourist spots such as in Ollantaytambo near the train station, and in Pisac at the bottom of the town near the bridge.

I would want to spend a few nights in Cusco itself if you like nightlife, otherwise you can stay somewhere central in the Sacred Valley...Urubamba has villas for rent.

Buenos Aires...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Cusco to the various ruins

Great thank you so much! To get from wherever we're staying in Cusco to each of the ruins about how far of a drive is it? And do you have approximate taxi fare in USD? Thank you!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,627 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Cusco to the various ruins

Contact Sacred Valley Transport at sacredtransport@gmail.com for great services and reasonable prices.

They an also provide guides..

Look at hotel reviews for the Sacred Valley on this forum, you will find great alternatives in Urubamba, including cottages.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Cusco to the various ruins

The farthest place would be Ollantaytambo, if you just want to go straight there it is about $25 or $30.

But if you want to hire at taxi driver for a day of touring, it will be around 150 to 200 nuevo soles. You can get currency conversion rates at many websites, eg xe.com

English speaking guides like to earn around $100 a day.

You can also search here and find several recommendations for a reasonable day rate of a driver/guide .

Edited: 12 August 2013, 00:55
Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Cusco to the various ruins

Lots of transport options from taxis to buses to vans. I would suggest based on your post that you buy a map ASAP so you have an idea of where everthing is to most effectively plan your outings. I'd stay in Cuzco. Greatest options for nightlife, restaurants and shopping.

New England
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Cusco to the various ruins

Four of us took a taxi to Tambomachay for a very reasonable rate ( sorry I can't remember it now) from Cusco. It took less than 30 minutes. After wandering around Tambomachy we walked to Puka Pukara and wandered there. We then followed the road towards Cusco for aways before crossing into some fields towards some lesser developed ruins where we had gorgeous views of Ausasngate. From there we walked to the Q'enqo temple ruins and then on to Sacsayhuaman. Spent lots of time exploring all of Sacsayhuaman, playing on the slides and enjoying the views over Cusco. From there we walked backed to Cusco on the pedestrian path. It was a wonderful way to spend a day. We left Cusco after breakfast and were back around 2pm.

Edited: 12 August 2013, 01:07
7. Re: Getting from Cusco to the various ruins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 06:22