We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Machu Picchu

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Machu Picchu

Hi.

We want to take the train to Machu Picchu in mid November. Can we purchase these tickets on-line, or do we have to do it in person, or by mail/phone.

Also, will we have to provide our passport to get on the train, or provide the number on the passport to buy a ticket? How is that handled?

Much appreciate your help.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Machu Picchu

You can buy them online from perurail.com or incarail.com. Those are the two companies that run trains to MP. You can also have a hotel buy them for you or there are a lot of travel agencies that will do it. Yes, you need a passport to book the tickets and have to provide your passport#. I do not think we had to show our passport to get on the train. It was a couple months ago now. I think we just showed our ticket.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,253 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Machu Picchu

Train from Ollantaytambo station as you will find many more scheduled departures.

From Cusco you only have one choice a day for each type of train service.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Machu Picchu

For the best selection I would purchase the tickets on line or ask your hotel to do it, also as xochitl indicated, the options from Ollantaytambo (Sacred Valley) are much better. November is typically the slow season and you should have no trouble getting tickets here if you would prefer to wait, but the options may be a little more limited at the last minute.

Yes you will have to provide your passport number for the train tickets, as well as the Machu Picchu tickets. While I haven’t herd of anybody having their passport checked to board the train, you will have to show it when you enter Machu Picchu, and they will want to see the original, not a copy.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Machu Picchu

whats the reason for the MP passport check? I asked that once before and was told to keep terrorists out? I doubt they would get into the line where you go in?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Machu Picchu

I assume It is so you can't resell the tickets. Supply is limited so otherwise scalpers could buy them all and resell them at higher prices.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Machu Picchu

I believe wes032 is probably correct, The short answer is to make sure you are the person that the ticket was sold to, without this control not only scalpers, but tour companies would buy them all up and then the only way you could get a ticket would be through an agency or other third party, and at a much higher price I am sure.

Lancaster, United...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Machu Picchu

Hello

I visited Peru in March. I stayed in Cusco in a girls orphanage. That was cool and no expectations!

I got a package deal: From cusco, I spent two days away, one day visitng sites out of town, the next Machu Pichu.

In all, cost for food included was 240 dollars. Pricy it is but that included transport and entrance to Macho Pichu and a guide itself which is well recommended in Machu Pichcu.

Train can be got from Ollytytambo. BOOK early to get best train time, as reservation is required and you will get the last train around 1000pm to Machu Pichu town, your choice. I got last train, it was Ok...

8. Re: Train to Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 05:18