We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coordinating two different itineraries

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Coordinating two different itineraries

I am interested in hiking the Inca trail but my wife isn't. Can you suggest ways that we might be able to coordinate two itineraries so that we first spend time in Cuzco together while I am acclimating and then meet up in Machu Picchu at the end of my trek? Are there schools in Cuzco where she could engage in a structured activity during the time I'm trekking--or are there outfitters who handle this kind of situation? I can't believe we're the first facing this challenge.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coordinating two different itineraries

When you book the Inca Trail trek through whatever company you choose just find out which day you arrive in Machu PIcchu / Aguas Calientes and then book a train ticket for your wife to arrive in Aguas Calientes that same day. Depending on which company you are with and the itinerary your wife may have to make her way to Machu PIcchu on her own and meet you there or you may go straight to Aguas Calientes and see Machu PIcchu the next day in which case you could meet your wife at the train depot in Aguas Calientes.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coordinating two different itineraries

Your wife can either hang out around the Sacred Valley, or take an excursion to the Amazon or to Puno.

Then meet you up at the ruins in the morning that you arrive (or perhaps at lunchtime at the buffet?)

You should be there by 9 or 10 am for sure.

One of the NGOs that I like is Awamaki, they do homestays, Spanish lessons, community visits, etc. Getting more expensive but maybe you can deduct some of the costs! Based in Ollantaytambo and visit Patacancha.

www.awamaki.org

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
11 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coordinating two different itineraries

You can ask a personalized option for you 2 to Peru path (you can search them on tripadvisor or internet, they have a website). They are having also a foundation, helping some communities and schools. So I am sure they can propose some options/activities to your wife while you are trekking. Anyway the 4-th day is the visit of Machu Picchu, so if she is joining you there you can have the same guide. We had a very nice experience with them and we really appreciated he work they do with their foundation.

4. Re: Coordinating two different itineraries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 06:20