We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Machu Pichhu - unfit and overweight

Canberra, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Machu Pichhu - unfit and overweight

Hi All,

I am visiting Cusco/Machu Picchu soon and I am a little worried about my fitness levels.

I am doing an Urban Adventures day tour to Machu Picchu, leaving Cusco really early in the morning. The tour takes the train to Aguas Calientes and then the bus up to the entrance.

I was wondering what kind of fitness level is required to actually view the site. Are there lots of hills/stairs (I'm okay with the occasional set of stairs, not fantastic on steep hills). I will have been in Cusco for a few days, so hopefully I will have acclimatised - but I'm just getting over a decent bout of bronchitis which has reset any fitness I had built up.

Any tips or cautions are most welcome - I really want to experience the site, but I don't want to hold anyone on my tour up or cause an issue by overdoing it (I tend to faint if I go too hard - it's a medical issue).

Thanks

Nottingham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Visiting Machu Pichhu - unfit and overweight

A lot of people have problems with the altitude, a lot of people don't. You won't know until you get there!

I visited this summer July/August and had no problems at all, but I was very worried prior to my visit and considered cancelling. I'm so glad I didn't. Take it steady, have plenty of water and make sure your camera is ready so you can take lots of rest stops and snap the views at the same time.

montreal
Level Contributor
203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visiting Machu Pichhu - unfit and overweight

I'm over 50 not fit at all,a bit extra kilos but I was alone not with group so a took a time about 6 h going around and was ok do not seat at the ground -some kind of miniature bugs are there,so cover your legs with long pants

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Visiting Machu Pichhu - unfit and overweight

Dear Ezzbez,

take a private tour and go in your own pace by the lower area of the machupicchu circuit, that is going to be easier for you, definitely you should visit your Doctor and get DIAMOX, it help a lot with the altitude.

hope you enjoy Machupicchu.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Visiting Machu Pichhu - unfit and overweight

@ezzbez - thank you for your thread! I hope you have a great trip, and when you come back that you'll post a report, or at least a few comments about how it worked out for you. Thanks :)

15. Re: Visiting Machu Pichhu - unfit and overweight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 06:21