We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alpaca and jewellery

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St Albans
Level Contributor
170 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Alpaca and jewellery

I'm doing a one-day Sacred Valley tour and will have 1.5 days in Cusco. From what I've read on here if sounds like buying alpaca/jewellery etc will be just as good in Cusco as in Pisac or elsewhere in SV. Do they prefer being paid in soles or $?

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alpaca and jewellery

Your right! Jewelry and Alpaca can be bought in many places in both Cusco and the Valley. I was in Pisac just a few weeks ago, and I was surprised to see just how many new jewelry shops (off the main plaza) had opened.

They will accept $$ and Soles, but you are probably better off exchanging your $$ and paying in Soles as you will get a better exchange rate.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alpaca and jewellery

Soles. Not dollars.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
565 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alpaca and jewellery

What kind of jewellery?Silver? Do they have good silver in Peru and cheaper?

Thanks

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,290 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alpaca and jewellery

Peru is the second biggest producer of silver in the world and also has one of the best handicrafts as well.

Buying silver and gold jewelry in Peru is a great idea.

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
769 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alpaca and jewellery

There is lovely handmade silver jewelry. My advice would be to checkout the high end stores like Ilaria and Inca Treasures first to see what the "good stuff" looks like, and then look around the city to see if you can get a bargain.

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alpaca and jewellery

I love buying jewelry wehn I am there. Our wedding rings were made and purchased in Lima.

You are gonna find a ton of great items and it will be hard to decide what to not get!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,290 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alpaca and jewellery

You will be better off paying in soles.

8. Re: Alpaca and jewellery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 05:17