We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it better to find hotel in Peru on arrival or reserve?

uuu
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
is it better to find hotel in Peru on arrival or reserve?

Hi,

is it better to find hotel in Peru on arrival or reserve ahead? I heard it is a lot cheaper to find on arrival, is that true? Are hotels very easy to recognize and very close to each other? Or it will waste a lot of time? Anybody went can tell me the clean and safe budget price range for cusco and Agusta cliente?

How about Nazca? We will arrive at Nazca at 10:30pm in the night. Would it be easy to spot a hotel?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,562 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it better to find hotel in Peru on arrival or reserve?

Walking around with your luggage at high altitude looking for a hotel is not a good idea.

On what month do you plan to travel ? If its between June and August, or during local holidays, you better book in advance.

I really do not think you will be getting better prices if you just show up to the door of a hotel asking for a room.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,339 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it better to find hotel in Peru on arrival or reserve?

Seems to me like waiting until you arrive is the worst way to get a good deal. At that point, you can't easily do any comparison shopping. Cusco is a big city. There's hotels up and down many streets. It's not like you can walk around to a bunch and ask what their prices are, especially if you are late or tired or suffering from the altitude. Much easier to comparison shop for deals online.

For reference, during May we stayed at a Tierra Viva hotel in Cusco. It was 5 minute walk from the main plaza, included breakfast. I'd consider it a nice mid-range hotel. Nothing luxurious but nothing wrong with it at all. A double room was $100 a night, which at the time we were there was about 250 soles.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it better to find hotel in Peru on arrival or reserve?

Another option is to book the first night of arrival and then look around the next day, but is saving money worth giving up hours of your time (especially if you only have a week or two which is typical).

However I have found that hotels of the best value and reputation tend to be booked ahead and full, especially if you do not arrive early in the day.

London
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it better to find hotel in Peru on arrival or reserve?

We arrived in Cusco without anywhere booked in July ( high season). We simply wandered around, asked at a few places and got a room without any problems. We settled on Qoricancha Hostal and got a pretty good double room with en suite, wifi, breakfast etc. for 70 soles, reduced from 90. I really don't think you will have much of a problem finding somewhere to stay in most places in Peru at the budget end, as long as you are not set on a particular place. Higher end hotels will probably booked up though. Generally, we got good discounts when we just turned up but this was mostly for budget-mid range places.

Beware of the altitude if you are not acclimatised, lugging around a heavy backpack or suitcase is no fun at 3000+ metres.

Can't help with Nazca but if arriving at 10.30 pm anywhere, I would book ahead and advise then of your arrival. Chances are your bus will be late anyway!

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is it better to find hotel in Peru on arrival or reserve?

My own experience goes with Mlgb's suggestion of booking the first night in advance then looking elsewhere. We had deplorable conditions in Arequipa in the place we booked ahead of time (listed in one of the official guide books that I bought here). We were so disgusted that we left on foot to just wander around. I was sicksicksick and was still willing to just leave.

Having reservations ahead of time means they already have your card info and can charge you in a situation like we had.

For every place we stayed, only Arequipa was truly awful. The other places were either ho-hum, interesting, or a delight.

Whereever you stay, be sure to take a photo of the business card so that when someone in the future asks for recommendations from you, you can just send them the photo (or post it on your blog with your personal review). For non-Spanish speakers, having the business card in your pocket while in town makes it much easier for using a taxi, too--just hand that to the taxista for the directions.

Look on here for reviews in your price range. Make note of 3 or 4 places and you are sure to have a great experience.

My reviews are from 2 years ago but here is what I wrote:

<<<"

Cuzco = Villa San Blas

We were on the top level and had a great skylight. Smoking is allowed. Showers have a window to the hallway. TV. Bed was very comfy. Stairsteps have uneven heights. Breakfast was free (I think). Lots of laundry options nearby with one delivering to the hotel. They were very nice and we enjoyed it a lot. I will definitely stay here again!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.villasanblas.com/

Nazca = Hospedaje Inti Wasi

I'd stay here again. Water was lukewarm, place was clean, small kitchen with pots to use, relaxing enclosed area near the back, TV, open-to-the-sky center hallway area, free internet on computer in lobby with WORKING USB and keyboard. Very friendly. I'd stay here again.

">>>

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: is it better to find hotel in Peru on arrival or reserve?

Make easy your holidays , Book in advance and just relax

7. Re: is it better to find hotel in Peru on arrival or reserve?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2016, 12:58
8. Re: is it better to find hotel in Peru on arrival or reserve?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:17