We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking input Lima to Cusco and MP and back in 4 days

Currently Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
237 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking input Lima to Cusco and MP and back in 4 days

I get into Lima on United at 11:30 PM on Saturday Nov 16th.

Should I just stay at the airport and take a 5:30 a.m. flight?

Can I visit MP on that same Sunday or wait until Monday?

I leave Lima at 1 a.m. on Wednesday (Tuesday night really so I could take a late Tuesday flight out)

Any input as I put this mad dash together? I live in a fairly high altitude so it shouldn't be all too stressful.

Open for any input.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking input Lima to Cusco and MP and back in 4 days

Can I visit MP on that same Sunday or wait until Monday?

You would need to have tickets for MP, as I understand it. But someone could pick you up at the airport and take you to MP, if that's what you want.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,119 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking input Lima to Cusco and MP and back in 4 days

Post 1 is incorrect in that no one can take you from the airport to MP. You could get a morning flight Lima to Cusco, taxi 90 min to Ollantaytambo, then train 90 min to Agua Calientes by say late afternoon. Stay overnight in AC. Monday morning take the bus the last bit to MP and spend the day. Bus back to SC and train back to Ollanta that evening and stay there. Tuesday taxi to Cusco and flight to Lima. It's rushed but do able. Might even have time for sightseeing in Ollanta on Tuesday morning.

Book the train, hotels, and MP entrance ticket online ahead of time.

Edited: 30 October 2013, 03:25
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking input Lima to Cusco and MP and back in 4 days

#2 is correct. Sorry if I gave the impression that you would travel by car the whole way.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking input Lima to Cusco and MP and back in 4 days

I suggest:

Sat: arrive in Lima

Sun: take the 5.30am flight, rest and enjoy Cusco

Mon: day trip to MP

Tue: fly back to Lima

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking input Lima to Cusco and MP and back in 4 days

I would go with wes032's recommendation with one change, I would travel all the way back to Cusco on Monday night, then you can spend the morning wandering Cusco before catching an afternoon flight back to Lima.

I would consider travel insurance due to the tight schedule, November is the beginning of the rainy season and there is the possibility of flight delays or cancelations in and out of Cusco.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking input Lima to Cusco and MP and back in 4 days

I would not spend Monday night in Cusco.

Stay the night in Ollantaytambo. The next morning after breakfast, you can travel by daylight and see the scenery if it isn't raining, you can visit the Salineras, Moray and Chinchero or go straight to Cusco. Have lunch around the Plaza de Armas and continue to the airport for a flight. I would not recommend taking a late afternoon or evening flight, though. The chances of flight cancellation increase later in the day.

Also with this short time frame I do recommend using LAN, as they have many more flights per day and better equipment for flying in poor visibility. Although if the winds are up, you still risk cancellations.

If you are looking at trip insurance be sure you have enough time between the connecting flights to meet the policy terms...3 or 6 hours, usually. Some cheap policies may even be more. Better yet put all of the flights on one ticket so that they will at least try to get you on the next available seat...and note that does NOT mean the next flight! When there is bad weather the next flights will fill up first with those paying a higher fare class !

Edited: 30 October 2013, 18:44
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking input Lima to Cusco and MP and back in 4 days

I did experience the same flight schedule and have modified my itinerary for your consideration.

Sat - go to your domestic flight counter to check in your cusco flight upon late arrival. Rest in the departure arer or lounge. Lima airport is a modern and comfortable facility.

Sun - Book a stay in Ollantaytambo and have the hotel to arrange a taxi pickkup from the cusco airport. You may spend an afternoon to visit the ollantaytambo fortress. Alternately you may have the taxi to make sightseeing stops en route to the hotel, which may take a total of 7 -8 hours and the rate is affordable.

Mon - take the early train(6am?) to MP from Ollantaytambo, as it has many departures from 2 train companies. Late afternoon (4pm) return is preferable. After collecting your luggage from the hotel, take the numerous low cost shuttle buses near the train station or the plaza to cusco for overnight.

Tue - spend the morning to explore the Incan city of Cusco before flying to Lima.

8. Re: Seeking input Lima to Cusco and MP and back in 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2016, 12:57
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking input Lima to Cusco and MP and back in 4 days

Got to love mlgb, he/she recommends not to take a late afternoon or evening flight, but I am not sure how you could get up, have breakfast in Ollantaytambo, visit Salineras, Moray and Chinchero on the way to Cusco, and not have to take at least a late afternoon flight out of Cusco.

The decision whether to stay in Cusco or Ollantaytambo really comes down to what sites you want to see. If you have time to visit the ruins in Pisac and/or Ollantaytambo on Sunday, you will have to have purchased a boleto touristico (tourist ticket) if you only purchase the partial, which is all that is needed for these two sites, it will have expired by Tuesday. This would necessitate having to purchase a second ticket if you want to Visit Chinchero on the way to Cusco on Tuesday, either that or purchase a full ticket on Sunday.

While not a big deal, the boleto touristico is something else to be considered when making a plan. There are several options full/partials. I would research the sites and read up on the different tickets before deciding where to spend Monday night.

Some of the sites to consider in the areas you will be in are Contemporary Art Museum, Regional History Museum, Popular Art Museum, Qorikancha Museum, Cusco Native Art Center, Pachakuteq Monument, Saqsaywaman, Q'enqo, Puka Pukara, Tambomachay, Pisaq, Ollantaytambo, Moray, Chinchero, Qorikancha Complex, Salineras de Maras, Urco, and the Cochahuasi Animal Sanctuary.

Here is a link to some info on the boleto touristico. www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

As I said previously, personaly I would go to Cuso on Monday night, and spend tuesday morning visiting Cusco before catching the flight out.

10. Re: Seeking input Lima to Cusco and MP and back in 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 04:17