We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainbow Trail Tour

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rainbow Trail Tour

I just came off a trip to Peru that used Rainbow Trail Tour. It was a mess. The owners, Thomas and Melissa were no help. Our hotel was not in the city proper of Cusco, and was super cheap with NO heat. At 12,000 feet, Cusco gets cold. In Aguas Caliente we were quoted on the nice El Mapi hotel and they gave us a cheap hovel with holes in the wall. The box lunch for the day at Machu Picchu was abominable. They made thin tuna sandwiches in their home (yech!) with about 1 tablespoon of tuna. No water was provided for our landing arrival in Peru, so they had our bus pull over at a gas station to buy ourselves the critical bottled water US citizens must drink. What a terrible joke this "operation" is. They were an arrogant and detached couple. I hate to go too far, but they looked shifty or guilty to me.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainbow Trail Tour

never heard of them but there are many travel companies in Peru.

Cusco, Peru
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainbow Trail Tour

The hotel used in Cusco for the Womens Journey Group was Hotel Polo Cusco Suites. It did have (working ) the standard electric wall heaters common to Cusco and the only hotel that had 12 single occupancy rooms available as demanded by the group. Hotel Taypicala Boutique in Aguas Caliente was selected, the only hotel available with 12 single rooms at the time, The travel agency in Los Angeles requested a box lunch approving tuna fish sandwiches. We are a reputalble company in Cusco with 20years of experience. In all our years that group was the most difficult group of women we have ever received as customers. There was hostility even within the group, they couldn 't even get along with each other.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainbow Trail Tour

"... so they had our bus pull over at a gas station to buy ourselves the critical bottled water US citizens must drink. "

One of the most hilarious lines I've ever read on TA.

Los Angeles
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainbow Trail Tour

Why was our group difficult? We didn't even engage with you, or you with us. Exactly how were we so difficult for you? I'm seriously curious.

While there was the typical negligible friction between a few of the travelers, using the word hostility is stretching it. Let's be honest, a little friction between friends or family traveling together is almost the rigueur. People do get tired and cranky when their traveling. We may have been cranky because all of the lousy accommodations we were stuck with. I don't think you won many votes with that disparagement.

Perhaps the travel agent who worked with you arranging our trip consented to tuna sandwiches. I wouldn't know how the menu was created. I usually love a good tuna sandwich. However, I do think it's an odd choice for a packed lunch on sunny Machu Picchu. I won't repeat again here what our group was served…it's enough to say the homemade tuna sandwiches we unwrapped were unacceptable.

I could name several other things that were problems, but I don't need to belabor my point. I'm sorry if the arrangements you made were at the direction of the organizer/travel agent, and we both were deceived as to what the standard should have been. When asked, our organizers laid the blame on you. We all paid a much higher price than we should have for the off season, and were led to believe that the accommodations were first class. Clearly, somebody pocketed some extra money. By the way, if requesting 12 rooms really is an outrageous "demand", as you imply, is there a specific reason why that is out of line? I would imagine there are many groups who need more than 12 rooms in Peru. As I've already set forth, I don't know what the deal that you made with the organizers was, but perhaps you were duped too, much like our group. Who's really in the wrong here? If I'm wrong on this, I'd like to know and I will correct any points that I've misjudged.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 04:46
Madison
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainbow Trail Tour

Did the PERU DREAM 13 Days/ 12 Nights Package with Rainbow Trail Tour in Sept 2012. This was the cheapest comprehensive Peru package that I had ever seen. We purchased it from a travel agent marketing in a Spanish language new paper (we are English speakers, with a little Spanish). We had a great time. Some of the local agents were better than others, and it was bit chaotic at times, but that was more in dealing with eccentricities of bus, train, and air travel within Peru (everything seems to run late...).

If you were sold a luxury trip, then you were duped by the agent. They offer an economy adventure that follows the gringo trail. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't need their hand held all the time.

6. Re: Rainbow Trail Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2015, 05:15