We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
vaccinations

Hi there,

My Partner and i are travelling to peru over christmas this year we will only be visiting lima, cusco and machu pichu do we

a) need any vaccinations for these parts of peru and

b) need to show proof of vaccination for yellow fever on returning to North America ( NEW YORK).

From my research i have found we should be fine going into peru without the yellow fever injection but may have trouble entering new york afterwards??

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaccinations

a) There are several vaccinations recommended but nothing required. Have your doctor recommend a travel clinic if you want more info or see the CDC web page. And if you are going to see a doctor, do it ASAP as some vaccinations take a few weeks to become effective.

…cdc.gov/travel/…peru

b)No, you won't be checked. At least when we returned from Peru to Chicago last year, no one asked.

Lima, Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vaccinations

For Cuzco, yellow fever vaccine is not required, only if you go to the jungle area. You can check the required vaccines here: …cdc.gov/travel/…peru

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vaccinations

A clarification: no vaccination is REQUIRED, but simply recommended.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vaccinations

General recommendations: be current on all standard US vaccinations, like polio, tetanus & flu shot. Add typhoid & hepatitis A for more protection. As others have stated, these are only recommendations, not requirements.

No vaccinations are required for the areas you will be visiting, and no requirements to show proof of vaccination for re-entry into the US. In fact, no requirements for US citizens.

I believe Australians have to show proof of YF vaccine upon re-entry to Oz from Peru, regardless of where in Peru they visited, but not necessary for the US.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vaccinations

Not a problem, going to the US, however read your own country's requirements.

http://www.health.gov.au/yellowfever#12

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vaccinations

hep A (and Hep B if you can afford it) is a good choice for travel almost anywhere except maybe Northern Europe and the US/Canada (this per the CDC), and its a good idea even there, as you can get hep A easily.

The vac lasts a long time also.

Hep A I think used to be NOT effective immediately,

Edited: 28 November 2013, 12:59
Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: vaccinations

Great! thankyou all for your help - much appreciated :)

8. Re: vaccinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 05:16