We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side Trip to the Amazon from Cusco

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Side Trip to the Amazon from Cusco

Has anyone taken a side trip to the Amazon from Cusco? if so, would anyone share their itinerary with me, or tips, locations or anything that could give me a good starting point to plan such a side trip. thank you in advance.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Side Trip to the Amazon from Cusco

I am interested in this trip as well.

Norwich, Connecticut
Level Contributor
192 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side Trip to the Amazon from Cusco

We went to Peru twice, once in 2008 and once in 2012. We took a side trip to the "Amazon" from Cusco through Manu expeditions. Just a 3 night stay, about an 8 hour drive. We honestly did not see much at all. It's the Manu Cloud Forest that is close to Cusco and the drive there was treacherous. We were riding up the side of a mountain on a one-lane road. It was truly scary. When we returned to Peru in 2012 we just flew straight to Iquitos and spent a week in the heart of the Amazon. The first trip pales in comparison to the second. If you really want to do, then check out Manu Expeditions but I honestly don't think you would enjoy the trip. You might be better of visiting Lake Titicaca with your time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Side Trip to the Amazon from Cusco

figure on 4-5 days minimum to make Manu worth your while. trips are expensive, and most don't actually take you into the park, as the permits are expensive. rather, the companies own land next to the park.

there are several reviews on here of companies that people have used, and it's easy to book a trip once you're in cusco, which would allow you to talk to several groups and find one you feel good with.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
260 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Side Trip to the Amazon from Cusco

Thank you for your advice. I think Iquitos sounds better than the descriptions and itineraries I have seen about Puerto Maldonado area of the Amazon. Only Lake Sandoval sounds really pretty.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Side Trip to the Amazon from Cusco

Alex,

Puerto Maldonado is a 45 minute flight from Cusco - when I looked at flights to Iquitos they all went through Lima.

I visited Tambopata Research Center with Rainforest Expeditions http://www.perunature.com

This was my first and only time in a rainforest so I have nothing to compare it to - but I thoroughly enjoyed the tour.

London, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Side Trip to the Amazon from Cusco

just back from 6 days in Manu/Madre de Dios. loved it.

the road in is one lane and not the best, but i would hardly call it 'treacherous.' the river was more difficult because it is constantly changing and it can be hard to judge how deep it is. it's not uncommon to have to push the boat, but we didn't see this.

if you go to Manu, you'll spend the first and last days of your trip in a van driving. beautiful, amazing to watch the change from andean mountains to cloud forest, but it's not the jungle.

i think, but am not sure, that if you fly into puerto macdonalde you'll be into teh jungle/river faster, but i'm not sure. email a few of the companies who've been reviewed, or who are in your guidebook, and ask for their itinerary.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Side Trip to the Amazon from Cusco

hi there we are going on a side trip to iquitos from cuzco after our 10 day tour and I am so looking forward to it, we have 3 nights booked in at ceiba tops and 2 nights chilling in iquitos before heading back to lima.

We are not going until September but I will share trip when I get back,

Kind regards

8. Re: Side Trip to the Amazon from Cusco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 07:17