We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cusco safe?

Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Is Cusco safe?

Some say yes, other's say no, we don't know who to believe. Would very much like to hear your experiences in Cusco. Thank you in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Cusco safe?

It's a great city to visit. We had no security fears at all on our trip. Like cities anywhere I'm sure there are bad areas, but the central tourist areas seemed just fine.

Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Cusco safe?

Thank you wes 032 . Your response is very much appreciated.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,022 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Cusco safe?

Who says it's not safe? What is their experience? I don't recall many people coming on here and saying its unsafe...

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,627 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Cusco safe?

Cusco gets about 4 million tourists a year

In general its a very safe city

Lots of tourists and police everywhere

London
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Cusco safe?

Spent quite a bit of time there and never had a problem. There are dodgy parts but most tourists would not visit them. Just adopt the precautions yup would when in any South American city i.e. Don't flash valuables, carry too much cash, use ATMs INSIDE banks , keep cash etc. In money belts, zipped pockets etc..

Springfield...
Level Contributor
352 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Cusco safe?

Zipped pockets are not always good enough. My brother-in-law had his wallet stolen from a zippered pocket in his pants leg.

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Cusco safe?

I heard that Cusco is more dangerous than Lima because of the touristy nature of the location. I don't know if that's true or not, but I guess I will find out in 3 months time. General common sense will prevail I think, the important thing to remember is NOT to look like a tourist.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Cusco safe?

Overall, I found Cusco to be safer than Lima. For example, I felt it was safe to grab a street taxi outside the Cusco airport, which I could never dare to do outside Lima's. I agree, common sense goes a long way.

London
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Cusco safe?

"I think the easiest the important thing to remember is NOT to look like a tourist" Extremely difficult to achieve for most Europeans and North Americansin Cusco!

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
5,021 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Cusco safe?

Cusco is as safe as any big city and the historic center is very safe, you will see some form of police presence on almost every corner. Yes you have to be mindful of petty theft, there are pick pockets, and if you are in a restaurant, be very mindful of any bags you may have with you, as people have had entire backpacks stolen right in front of them while eating. That said, I think Cusco is much safer than Lima, Lima sees far more muggings and armed robberies, but these are mainly outside the tourist areas. Generally speaking both cities are safe if you use a little bit of common sense.