We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused about train cusco to ollantaytambo

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Topic
confused about train cusco to ollantaytambo

I was under the impression that there was a train service cusco to ollantaytambo, and I was trying to look up the journey time. On the peru rail website if I say I want to go to the sacred valley the only route that comes up is machu piccu to sacred valley. If I look the other way and say I want to go to cusco the only route is machu piccu to cusco (4 hour journey) it doesnt give me an option to buy a ticket to the sacred valley. Am I wrong and actually there is no train service cusco to sacred valley (ollantaytambo)?

Thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,723 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: confused about train cusco to ollantaytambo

See seat61.com. There are several companies.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,285 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: confused about train cusco to ollantaytambo

Nobody takes a train to Olly, you normally get there by bus or cab

Or, if you insist, buy your ticket Cusco to MP and get off at Olly

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: confused about train cusco to ollantaytambo

Thanks, does the train take longer than the bus? I presumed it would be faster and that it would be the most widely used way of getting around. The two companies mentioned on seat 61 both seem to divert to the same website and do not offer a ticket cusco to olantaytambo.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,242 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: confused about train cusco to ollantaytambo

Taxi will be faster. The train is only for tourists going to Machu Picchu. In a taxi it will be only 90 min. And cheaper than the train.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,313 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: confused about train cusco to ollantaytambo

It is a train for tourists; locals and most travelers take the bus or a private / shared taxi from Cusco to Ollantaytambo.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,242 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: confused about train cusco to ollantaytambo

I also want to point out that by USA or European standards, taxis in Peru are ridiculously cheap. We had our hotel in Ollantaytambo have a taxi meet us at the airport and take us to the hotel, 90 minutes away, and it was maybe$50USD. I spent that much on the 20 minute ride in the USA to the airport when we left for our trip and that's without a pickup. Do not be afraid to have your hotel hire a taxi for you whenever you need one, even for a several hour ride. It will be less than you think.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,285 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: confused about train cusco to ollantaytambo

Or contact sacredtransport@gmail.com

8. Re: confused about train cusco to ollantaytambo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 06:16