We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PeruRail Train Options

Washington DC...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
PeruRail Train Options

Does anyone know if it's worth it to take the PeruRail Belmond Hiram Bingham train from Cusco to Machu Picchu, or is the Vistadome a better option?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,451 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PeruRail Train Options

I would say it all comes down to your personal preferences:

Are you someone who values economy over luxury or is it the opposite?

Do you want to arrive to MP at a particular time?

Read on the characteristics of each ride and decide:

http://www.perurail.com/vistadome

http://www.perurail.com/hiram-bingham

I would say take any train that allows you to get to AC/MP on time for touring, resting, etc. but that's my personal opinion; I used Vistadome and Expedition and was pretty content. I'm pretty sure others have their own preferences.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PeruRail Train Options

I would never do vistadome again and would only do expedition. Fashion show on the vistadome train was super distracting and annoying.

Can't comment in the HB. It's way out if my budget. Depends if you want a luxury train ride experience. Expedition is more than fine if you just want comfortable transport back and forth.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PeruRail Train Options

I would take either Vistadome or Expedition - whichever fit my schedule best. I wouldn't bother with the Hiram Bingham.

Washington DC...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PeruRail Train Options

Thanks for all your comments. Are there good eating options around MP? I was considering the Hiram Bingham because they feed you and wasn't sure if the area around MP is strictly a National Park with no businesses around.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PeruRail Train Options

3 options. You can buy a box lunch and carry it with u and have a picnic outside the gate. Next there's a snack bar with stuff like hot dogs. Third the sanctuary lodge right outside the entrance does a lunch buffet.

Frankfort, Kentucky
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PeruRail Train Options

The town below MP (Aquas Caliente) has more restaurants per person/square foot than just about any place on earth. You will have no issues finding a meal.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,785 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PeruRail Train Options

The problem with a restaurant in town is then you waste time, figure 30 minutes each way, for bus down into town and back. Since most people usually have limited time at MP, it's not worth spending an hour round trip commuting to town just to have a slightly better lunch. I would only do that if you do not intend to go back to MP after lunch.

Washington DC...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PeruRail Train Options

Thanks, all of your comments were very helpful. Think I'll stick with the Vistadome and do a box lunch.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,408 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PeruRail Train Options

The food at the snack bar is very expensive and the buffet took too long. The snack vending machine was expensive. I think a small bag of Doritos was like $5. They do feed you a sandwich on the Vistadome - we got ham and cheese and a piece of fruit going in and a caprese (mozzarella and tomatoes) on the way out.

We bought granola bars, sandwiches, and fruit in town. The shops along the bus line in town sells everything you need. As we had a little wait for the bus, it was very convenient. Most hotels will also sell you a lunch box. Our Ollanta hostel sells them for 30 soles but we just made our own.

We were on a Galapagos cruise via Celebrity Xpedition the week before and there were folks who did a Machu Picchu extension with Celebrity who took the Hiram Bingham in. We actually ran into our new cruise friends and they all enjoyed the Hiram Bingham saying it was top notch. But these were well traveled and more pampered folks then us. I would have been fine on the Expedition train.

Edited: 15 August 2014, 16:14
10. Re: PeruRail Train Options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:16