We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lima-cusco trip

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Haiti
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Lima-cusco trip

I am planning a solo trip to Peru in Oct-November. Will be there for 10 days.

Below is my initial/rough plan travel wise. I'm not a backpacker but I am traveling on a budget so any recommendation is very welcomed.

Day 1

Arrive in Lima late afternoon. I'm looking at hotels in miraflores, it looks like a nice area

Day 2 - day 4

Start bus travel to cusco, I figured this would be economical and scenic. But not sure how safe so this might change

Day 5-8

Visit surrounding area in cusco. Need some guidance here because I'm not sure if I should pay for a tour or explore on my own. My Spanish is limited. I want to see as much as possible.

Day 9

Back to Lima on plane

Sightsee in miraflores and surrounding area

Day 10

? I don't have a clue lol

Day 11

Depart from Lima

As you can see I'm in the very beginning stages of planning so any and all pointers are welcome. Thanks in advance! :)

P.s. What can I expect weather wise around those months (end of October to early November )

1. Re: Lima-cusco trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 13:33
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lima-cusco trip

Just a few suggestions:

Hotel in Lima, most hotels are now located in Miraflores and you can find them in all categories. Book in advance is advisable, most hotel sites feature online booking. Check comments guests leave on TA that will help you to know what to expect from hotel you choose.

Are you sure you want to travel all the way to Cusco by bus? I would suppose that if you are taking 2 days to get there you might be stopping in Nazca, Arequipa or Puno to spend a night. This of course will be better instead of just sitting on the bus (even though it may be very safe, comfortable and cheap, the time spent may be too stressing and if you add to that the effects that altitude may cause on you, it may be worth considering to fly or to brake up this trip in shorter bus rides and thus add more interesting destinations you can visit).

If you are good at following directions from a reputable travel guide you may be able to do it on your own with no problem whatsoever, otherwise have a good travel company make all the arrangements so you can visit the city of Cusco, the Sacred Valley and of course Machu Picchu. You got just enough time to visit these places so can't venture to do it on your own if you are not prepared.

Contrary to what many people say, I think Lima is worth visiting at least for 2 days. In Lima you will find restaurants that offer the very best from the different regional cuisines of the country, it is a must do delight your palate; also in Lima there are many archaeological sites that are worth a visit just as well as the colonial part of town and even the islands just ofl El Callao, where you can see a large colony of sealions and marine birds. Regarding museums, I'll just say that there are amazing collections of ancient art, customs and traditions, remains of the glorious past of outstanding civilizations.

Weather in Lima October-November, mostly fair with temperatures above 16ºC and humidity around 80% (it is just a little damp without rain). In the mountains the temperature is also increasing, daytime around 20's C and the evenings around 10ºC with a few showers especially in the afternoon and evenings.

Haiti
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lima-cusco trip

Thanks a lot for your advice. I'm having second thoughts about the bus thing, I notice it's not a huge difference in price from taking the plane since I was gonna do the VIP seats on the bus for comfort. Star peru seems to have good prices. As for the travel guide company, do you have any suggestions?

Godalming, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lima-cusco trip

I went at the end of October 2013. Lima was pretty warm but i've heard it never gets cold cold, probably 18-20 degrees. Cusco was really warm whilst I was there probably early 20s.

Haiti
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lima-cusco trip

Also, what do you suggest as far as hotel stay. Would it be best to break up the hotel stays between Cusco and Agua Calientes?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,995 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lima-cusco trip

Definitely fly Lima-Cusco. Not worth the bus trip. Once you get to Cusco, it's pretty easy to tour around the area on your own. Much of Cusco is walkable. There's some nice Inca ruins on the outskirts of town that you can see by hiring a taxi for about half a day for really not too much money. We were able to hire taxis for about $100 USD for a full day or $30-$50 for a half day without speaking Spanish or doing any negotiating. Or there are a million agencies on the main plaza selling half day bus tours of the main sites in Cusco.

Most hotels will also help you hire a taxi for the day so that's one easy way to see most of the main Sacred Valley sites. MP can either be done as a day trip from the Sacred Valley or you can stay overnight in Agua Calientes. Unless you want to do one of the hikes within MP, it's probably best to save time by doing it as a day trip. You can take an early morning train there, an early evening train back and have all day at the site.

If you search the forum, you'll find lots of sample itineraries and lists of sites in the Sacred Valley to see.

One way to do it would be something like this. I like the idea of staying a couple nites in the SV because it's so beautiful. The scenery around Ollantaytambo is pretty stunning.

Day 1 - fly to Lima

Day 2 - fly to Cusco, take a taxi to a hotel in the Sacred Valley (Urubamba or Ollantaytambo)

Day 3 - see Ollantaytambo, which has a big fortress ruin and is worth a day.

Day 4 - from your hotel in Ollantaytambo or Urubamba, do a day trip to MP

Day 5 - Taxi from your hotel to Pisac. See Pisac, which is another big Sacred Valley site. Have the taxi take you to a hotel in Cusco at the end of the day.

Day 6 & 7 - spend two days in Cusco. Use at least one half day to see the ruins on the outskirts of the city.

Day 8 - fly to Lima early. Spend all day in Lima

Day 9 - spend it in Lima. Fly home at night.

Another way to do it would be to use Cusco as a base and instead of taking taxis to the Sacred Valley site, do a bus tour. The agencies on the main plaza sell all day bus tours, which are pretty rushed but less expensive than hiring taxis.

Miami, Florida
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lima-cusco trip

Day 2 - day 4

Start bus travel to cusco, I figured this would be economical and scenic. But not sure how safe so this might change

Is my understanding that the bus is very long and because you go up and down between high mountains you can get motion sickness, I met a traveler that took the 22hours bus and he didnt like it at all.

Day 6 & 7 - spend two days in Cusco. Use at least one half day to see the ruins on the outskirts of the city.

Get at least one free day to enjoy the city and walk around

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lima-cusco trip

My family of 4 is leaving for Lima/Cusco/Tambopata in 3 days. We are getting excited. We have 2 weeks booked. Here is what we have planned. I can confirm how things went when we get back in early Sept.

Saturday evening: Land in Lima 12:30 AM. Taxi ti Mia Flores. Booked a fully equipped 2 bdroom apartment in Mia Flores for 2 nights. Found it on VRBO.com

Sunday: walk on our own, discover Mia Flores. Stay Sunday night.

Monday AM. Txi to Airport. Fly to Cusco. Star Peru airlines.

Rented a house built in the late 1600's in downtown Cusco for a full week. Again, found it on VRBO.com

Spend a week in Cusco and Sacred Valley area touring on our own or with tour company. Will dedide when we get there,

Llama Path tours hired to take us on 10KM Inca Trail hike followed by 1 nite in Aguas Calientes. Next day go to Macu Picchu. Back to Cusco to our house rental.

Next day fly out to Puerto Maldonado. Star Peru airlines.

3 nites at Wasai Tambopata jungle resort.

Fly back to Cusco. Stay 1 night at Hotel Ruinas in downtown Cusco.

Next day fly to Lima. Arrive about noon. Same apartment rented again in Mia Flores. VRBO.com

Hired Haku Tours to pick us up 9am. Private tour of Lima including slums, downtown, lunch, dinner, catacombs, fountains and laser show. Keep us busy all day and see lots. Then they take us to the Lima airport

that night, arriving about 9pm. Flight departs at about midnight, back home to Canada.

Google everything I mentioned if you like. You will find all the info you need to book your own holiday.

I sure hope everything works out for us. We have been planning since January. The time finally here!

Edited: 13 August 2014, 00:54
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Lima-cusco trip

Are you traveling on your own? There's a place I would recommend for an evening out.

My husband is Peruvian , we live in LA . We went visiting his family in Lima last June . If you want to save on money check www.airbnb.com

, it's renting an apartment for as many nights as needed , usually should be cheaper than a hotel but you can check . My husband also has a super cool penthouse you can rent there.

Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lima-cusco trip

Keith,

Just like to know how everything went with your trip to Peru??

Any advice??

Much Appreciated.