We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Cusco with children

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1 post
63 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Cusco with children

I'll be traveling to Cusco with my husband and two children in April, ages 8 and 10 years old. I'd like to know a few things:

1) suggestions for altitude sickness when it comes to kids?

2) hands-on type of activities for kids? day trips other than Macchu Picchu

3) Travel operator recommendation's

4) any other helpful tips appreciated!

Thank you!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Cusco with children

Welcome to the Peru TA forum,

There are a few threads that may be of help in your trip preparations:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2656686-i26293-k7…

This second one has great advice on page 1:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2656686-i26293-k5…

There are dozens of travel agency recs and hundreds of tips all over the forum. I invite you read the last few pages of the Peru forum to get more specific information and then post back again.

Cheers.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
49 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Cusco with children

I don't have personal recommendations, but there is a show on Hulu called "Travel with Kids" and they did an episode in Cusco which could be a good watch for you.

Windsor, California
Level Contributor
1 post
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Cusco with children

Bring diamox, take 2 250 mg per day 2 days prior to ascent, then take 1 a day for2 more days. You will feel great.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
94 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Cusco with children

1) I agree with the previous poster, Diamox was great for us. Ask your pediatrician.

2) Day trip to Pisac might be fun for the kids. Pisac has a huge market - it would be a great place for the kids to pick out small souvenirs for their friends back home. Many of the lunch spots have little 'castles' where they keep live guinea pigs for cooking cuy. The guinea pigs are pretty cute and I bet the kids would have fun seeing them run around in a restaurant. If you think it would upset your kids, I wouldn't stress that someone is about to eat those little guys. But it's unique and fun.

Hiking in the ruins above Pisac is also beautiful and is certainly hands on for the kids.

I like to be active and can easily lose interest in some of the less hands on activities. So from that perspective, I would skip Qurikancha in Cusco. There is a lot of great art and history, but nothing much for an 8 year old.

For the rest of your questions, I agree with prior posters - explore the Cusco information on Trip Advisor, consider purchasing a Peru book, and do a quick Google search for traveling through Cusco and the Sacred Valley with kids. The forums are good for more specific questions, once you've done your research.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Cusco with children

Just returned from Cusco with the kids, horseback riding and hiking in Urabamba were thier favorite things.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Cusco with children

@Andy k, #3.

I'm assuming you are the Auceda family's personal physician?

If not, you could say, "I took Diamox and gave it to my kids and we were fine ", if it was true.

But I don't think you should be advising how it will affect others.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
6,480 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Cusco with children

I should think twice before offering this kind of medecines to children.

8. Re: Traveling to Cusco with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:16