We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Cusco to La Paz

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vilnius
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Cusco to La Paz

I would like to ask how comfortable bus from Cusco to La Paz: Trans Litoral (lie-flat LEITO) or Trans Salvador (lie flat 3rows)? Time: 22:00- 13:00…

Thank you

6 replies to this topic
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Cusco to La Paz

Not at all comfortable. I got into detail here - …wordpress.com/2014/…. In short, the journey from La Paz to Cusco with Trans Salvador was absolutely horrendous. No electricity (so we spent most of the journey in the pitch black), no heating (it was freezing), no toilet (well, just a hole...) and the driver was smoking pot. FOR 18 HOURS (the bus kept breaking down but nobody communicated what was going on... in Spanish or otherwise)!! That's not to mention a few close calls with lorries, etc. Our ticket said we'd get movies, heating, dinner... well, there was no electricity so the first two were out. And "dinner" was a stale ham roll. That would've been fine but my friend is a coeliac (gluten free) and, what's more, they knew that because they ask for dietary requirements! Ha! If I were you, I'd avoid. There are other decent bus companies.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
364 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Cusco to La Paz

There are several bus lines running this route. We wanted to stop for a couple days in Copacabana, so we ended up combining bus lines. We did not pre-book the buses, rather we asked around the La Paz bus station and tour agents in Copacabana and booked what appeared to be the best deal for a superior class bus. Titicaca Bus lines (TiticacaBolivia.com) charged us about $11 USD for the first leg of the trip (includes short passage by boat). The bus was a comfortable single deck unit with semi-cama seating. We took a Tour Peru double decker bus from Copacabana to Cisco with a three hour stop in Puno (enough for dinner & Floating Islands tour). The first part of the trip (2-3 hours) was on the upper level and the remainder on the lower level where the full cama sleeper seats are located. The bus was in good condition and the roads were smooth, but somewhat curvy both around Lake Titicaca and in the mountains. Our cost in October 2014 was about $35 including the tour. We did not use the 'facilities' on these buses, but based on other experiences in Peru, and as with just about any bus anywhere, their condition deteriorates towards the end of longer trips. Both the Copacabana visit and our brief Puno stop were worth doing.

alnwick
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Cusco to La Paz

Although the original question is over a year old, I would like to share my experience with future travellers. We travelled from La Paz to Cusco on Trans Salvador on the 4pm service, which was supposed to get into Cusco at 5am. The seats were actually fairly comfortable, cama, and the toilet was 'ok' but there was no light, although one of the attendants later turned it on when someone complained. The nightmare was though that it broke down shortly after passing the border, and later I found out that they had said (as we didn't understand Spanish) that we had to wait till about 10am in the morning as the border had closed (at 8pm) so no buses from Bolivia could rescue. Apparently one of the driver's said he was going to get a lift into Puno to see if he could get a bus, but after several hours he was nowhere to be seen. In hindsight the bus had seemed sluggish and had stopped at El Alto randomly for a while, so other passengers who spoke English suspected that they knew there were problems with the bus but got us past the border so they didn't have to have any extra responsibilities before the border. We ended up hitching a ride with the Italians who had arranged their own minibus, so forking out extra, needless to say we had lost 300 Bs for the pair of tickets we had originally paid.

Level Contributor
1 post
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Cusco to La Paz

I took a Trans Salvador bus overnight from La Paz to Cusco recently. The bus was adequate although there were no working toilets on board or blankets. The journey was due to take 13 hours from 17:00 Bolivia time to 05:00 Peru time. We crossed the border at Desaguadero and we waited in a queue to leave Bolivia. This was at night and was therefore very cold. The queue took 3 hours. Entering Peru was a lot easier and took minutes. Back on the bus it was also very cold and I was very thankful for the blanket I had bought in La Paz. We arrived in Cusco at 07:30, 2.5 hours late. I'm not sure how much of this was down to the 3 hour wait at the Bolivian border. Overall it was not a terrible journey but felt the wait at the border could have been quicker which would have made the whole journey much more enjoyable.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Cusco to La Paz

Nos contratamos po adelantado servicio de dos paquetes turisticos desde Cusco a Machu Picchu. Hombre de agencia nos entregado en ultimo momento a microbus para 8 horas de viaje muy incomodo.. Al llegar 8 kilometros de Aguas Calientes chofer de microbus no dejado sin nada, sin pasajes a Aguas Calientes, sin hotel y sin entrada a Machu Picchu. Eso significa que pagamos por 8 horas de viaje muy incomodo un mil soles. Eso es un robo. Los turistas no deben contratar nada de agencia de viaje: El Imperio Hotel/Travel en calle Arco Iris 421 en Cusco.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Cusco to La Paz

Nos contratamos po adelantado servicio de dos paquetes turisticos desde Cusco a Machu Picchu. Hombre de agencia nos entregado en ultimo momento a microbus para 8 horas de viaje muy incomodo.. Al llegar 8 kilometros de Aguas Calientes chofer de microbus no dejado sin nada, sin pasajes a Aguas Calientes, sin hotel y sin entrada a Machu Picchu. Eso significa que pagamos por 8 horas de viaje muy incomodo un mil soles. Eso es un robo. Los turistas no deben contratar nada de agencia de viaje: El Imperio Hotel/Travel en calle Arco Iris 421 en Cusco.

Reply to: Bus from Cusco to La Paz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted