We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cusco taxis and luggage

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Strasbourg, France
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Cusco taxis and luggage

While deciding on our upcoming Sacred Valley/Machu Picchu trip, I have a concern that I hope to find an answer here.

On our arrival to Cusco airport, I am thinking on heading directly to Ollanta, staying there overnight and taking train to MP from there. My main concern is for luggages as we'll have two big suitcases (MP is only part of our big travel) - I know we can leave luggages at the hotel in Ollanta while away to MP, but after back to Ollanta my plan is to pick luggages and head to Cusco, visiting Chinchero on the way. We intend to hire taxi or private driver to make it and I wonder whether it is safe to leave luggages and belongings in the car while visiting the village and surroundings. Do you have any experience or advice on this issue? Thanks for sharing.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,224 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cusco taxis and luggage

Yes, it is safe to leave your bags in a private car that you hired while you visit Chinchero or other sites. If you're concerned, ask your hotel in Ollanta to arrange the car and driver for you. Then you'll know it's one they've used before successfully. That might cost a bit more but might give you peace of mind as opposed to picking a taxi off the street.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,277 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cusco taxis and luggage

Contact sacredtransport@gmail.com for a safe and secure transport at reasonable cost.

Houston, Texas, USA
Level Contributor
11 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cusco taxis and luggage

If you grab a taxi from the train station I wouldn't recommend leaving your stuff in their car while you tour. However, as Wes mentioned, your hotel in Ollanta can store your bags for your and then when you get back from MP have them call a taxi for you to take you back to Cuzco. They have trustworthy taxis that they use regularly and will vouch for and I think you should be able to get the ride back to Cuzco with a 1.5 to 2 hour stop in Chinchero for probably S.120-130. You might even want to tell your hotel what train you're taking from Aguascalientes back to Ollanta so that the driver will be at the station waiting for you, then he can take you up to the hotel to get your bags and then onwards to Chinchero and Cuzco.

sandycreek
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cusco taxis and luggage

It would obviously depend on your taxi driver and I would not leave anything in sight and keep money and passports on you at all times. However most taxi drivers stay within sight of their car when you are visiting the sites and I would imagine your bags would be safe in the boot/trunk. Make sure you do not skimp on th etaxi fare- the cheaper the ride the cheaper the car ! Most taxi drivers will not speak English so don't expect a running commentary on the surroundings unless you pay more for a tour type trip which would be about double but may be worth it .

5. Re: Cusco taxis and luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 05:16