We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi for 4 passengers with 4 full size luggage

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
261 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi for 4 passengers with 4 full size luggage

Hi there... we are a party of four, planning our upcoming trip to Cusco.

We intent to take a cab from Cusco airport to our hotel not far from Plaza de Armas, while on route, we intend to go to the Consettur at Av. Infancia 433 to buy the Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu bus tickets first.

Few questions:

1) Does Cusco have big size cabs that can take 4 passengers with 4 full size luggage? Is it easy to get such a cab at the airport or should we book a transfer service?

2) Does cab drivers understand English when we need to explain to him about the stopover at Consettur, before the hotel... and he needs to wait there while we buy tickets?

3) How much will be a reasonable price to pay the cab driver given the above service?

Thanks for your help!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,161 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi for 4 passengers with 4 full size luggage

I can't answer your questions, but I think you are mistaken about something. You buy the MP bus tickets at the station in Agua Calientes right before you get onto the bus. They are not timed. You just get on the next bus after you buy the ticket. It takes 2 minutes and there's no reason to make a special stop in Cusco to buy them. I was not even aware you could buy them anywhere but the bus stops at MP and in Agua Calientes.

I would not expect a cab driver you pick up at the airport to speak much English. You might get lucky, but do not expect it.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,999 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi for 4 passengers with 4 full size luggage

You may want to contact your hotel to arrange airport transfer. When we left for the airport, our taxi was a small station wagon with definite enough room for 4 large suitcases. We stayed right by Plaza de Armas and paid 15 soles. Agree with Wes not needing to buy the bus tickets until you get to AC. Did you mean you need to buy actual MP entry tickets?

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi for 4 passengers with 4 full size luggage

We just spent 8 days in Cusco. As I write this I am in Lima for our last night before heading home.

There are several taxis available at Cusco. I don't recall seeing a van though. We are a family of four with 4 fairly large sized back packs for luggage. Plus 3 day pack carry on size back packs. We got 4 large packs in a Toyota Yaris car, as well as a newer corolla car. Took the day packs in the car with us. The cabs from Cusco airport to Plaza de Armas area run about 35 N Soles. Once in Cusco needing to get back to the airport, a smaller sized station wagon can get you there for 10 soles. That's ridiculous cheap in my opinion. I kinda felt sorry for some of these poorer Peru taxi drivers. I gave him 20 soles. A 10 sole tip. That works out to about $7 US total including the tip.

On a side note you mentioned a possible language barrier while in Peru. I found that if you solely rely on English to get around and function in Peru is can be frustrating. I learned a fair bit of Spanish before I arrived. I also had an iPhone app that did conversions, and a Spanish phrase book. I used all at various times through out our 2 weeks here. I would have been quite frustrated at times without a way to effectively communicate. I learned there was less English spoken in Peru than I was lead to believe.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 00:44
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
261 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi for 4 passengers with 4 full size luggage

Thanks for your replies.

Hi Wes.... No, I am not mistaken. There are 2 locations to get the bus tickets... one at Aguas Calientes, one at Cusco. The reason I wanted to get the tickets before I go Aguas Calientes is that we are scheduled to arrive there at night when the ticket office is closed. This means the only other option is to go early in the morning, where we may need to spend time to queue to buy tickets, then queue to board the bus at 5+am. Not wanting to waste time and certainly not wanting to wake up even earlier than we have to, buying the tickets in advance at Cusco will be the next best option.

Sigh... guess English will not do. Have to get everything translated in advance then. Thanks for the info, Keith.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
261 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi for 4 passengers with 4 full size luggage

Hi chinita415, hmm... it would appear that getting a cab take all 4 would be a challenge. So your suggestion of asking the hotel might work better. Thanks!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,999 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi for 4 passengers with 4 full size luggage

... and having the hotel arrange it would also mean they can convey the message about the stopover. Do learn some basic Spanish. It's not that hard really compared to many other languages in Asia especially.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,161 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi for 4 passengers with 4 full size luggage

You will not waste time in AC getting bus tickets. The line to get the tickets is shirt. The line to get on the bus is long. One person can buy them while the other is in line to get on the bus.

You could also have your hotel in AC buy them for you before you arrive to avoid the hassle of making an extra stop in Cusco to get them.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
261 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi for 4 passengers with 4 full size luggage

Thanks, Wes. With the language issue, perhaps having to explain that we need the driver to wait there while we go get tickets may not be a good idea... will probably do what you suggest and get one of us to buy the tickets while we queue for the bus at Aguas Calientes.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
261 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi for 4 passengers with 4 full size luggage

Sigh... I just heard back from my hotel at Cusco (Terra Andina), and they quoted us US$32 each way!! Wow... it felt like daylight robbery. So this option is definitely out. At that price... we might as well just take 2 cabs.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
20,999 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi for 4 passengers with 4 full size luggage

Wow... that is steep. Just take 2 local ones. Write the name and address down. Just buy your bus tickets in AC.

Not sure if your hotel is in one of those narrow streets by Plaza de Armas. Ours was. Glad we prepaid the driver (we came from Ollanta). He hustled our bags out and up to the doorman and peeled off. Lots of waiting cars behind. Same thing loading - the doorman and cabbie got us loaded and in less than a minute.