We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacaya Samiria

new york
Level Contributor
731 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pacaya Samiria

Hi,

I heard that it is best to really go far away from Iquitos to see the jungle and wildlife. It sound like Pacaya Samiria would be great for that and I'm thinking about a 5 day visit. I'm travelling solo, probably in early June.

1. Anyone know about the Pacaya Samiria Amazon Lodge?

2. Would it be best to book from Iquitos itself at the last minute - maybe they get sold out?

3. Any other suggestions for lodges or companies.

Thanks.

Los Angeles
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacaya Samiria

My wife and I had the great opportunity to go to PS last year. We did not make any arrangements in advance since we had some time left after work meetings in Lima, in fact we just boarded the plane and got on our way to see the Amazon in Iquitos. As soon as we left the airport we realized that tourists were not only approached but almost kidnapped by hotel and tour vendors. We had to make our way out pushing and swearing until we could get on a cab that would take us to a hotel in Iquitos. Even then, the taxi driver eagerly suggested that we went to the best hotel in the city, five-star he said. This hotel was located in the main plaza of Iquitos and it seemed very nice, nevertheless prices were incredibly high to us (85 US per a double). So we got on board the same taxi because the driver would not let us probably expecting an extra tip or a hotel comission. He drove us to a small hotel nearby (Ambassador), the lady at the front desk offered us a double at 30 US and just to make sure I took alook before checking in. The room was ok, a bit dark because this hotel doesnt have windows facing the street but I thought that this was convenient due to the awful noise the thousands of motorcycles in Iquitos make. The same lady explained us that if we nneded tourist information they could provided freely at the hotel's tourist office just two doors down the street. We were leaving the lobby and going to our room when 2 guys steepped inside the hotel and called us in english, they said that they had tour proposals for us. I asked the lady in the front desk if these guys were personnel from the hotel's travel agency and she said no so I tried to dismissed them politely. They insisted saying that they could take us to the jungle at a cheap price, one of them even mention that they could take us to Pacaya Samiria for 75 dollars a night. I was tempted to listen to them but I saw a warning sign in the eyes of the hotel girl and so did my wife. We said no and we turned our backs on them and did not stop until we got in the room. After taking a shower we went to talk with the guys at the hotel travel agency (paseos amazonicos) and they offered us several tour possibilities. Although I wanted to stay in a jungle lodge, the Pacaya-Samiria journey seemed very attractive mainly because we would be camping inside a natural reserve one of the largest of Peru. So we accepted although the price of the tour was twice the offer of the free lance vendors. We expected a great service and that was exactly what we got. The timing was prfect, the guide amazingly knowledged, the food was marvelous (thanks, Jerlin!), and all the crew very willing to make us feel comfortable. Everything was good except the mosquitoes, but it was worth it, I got beautiful landscape and wildlife pictures (I could not believe I was going to have the chance to have a giant anaconda, it was scary!). When we went down the Maranon I saw the beautiful PS Lodge, really pretty sight, only thing is that tourists must go back and forth to explore the reserve. Anyways, I wish you can make it to this unique place.

new york
Level Contributor
731 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacaya Samiria

Thanks Rick. This is the informationI need. How much did you pay per night in PS and how many nights are suggested (i was thinking of 5 - is this too many?)

iquitos
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacaya Samiria

Hello friend

We are Tour Operators in the Amazon jungle we take our tourist into differents places into the jungle according to their interests but we operate our tours mostly in the national reserve Pacaya-Samiria of course the largest natural protected area in Peru where you can be sure you will enjoy the real jungle, watching a great variaty of wild animals and primary forest.

We offer you our tours at very reasonable prices

For any futher information contact us to: jungleexploreroe@hotmail.com

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacaya Samiria

We just this minute booked a last minute (beginning 2 weeks from now) trip to Tahuayo Lodge. http://www.perujungle.com

We asked for a discount after seeing the link on their web page titled "Specials". The price quoted on their site is for 8D/7N, but we are doing 6D/5N. After the discount, I think we are paying about $160 per person per night.

We looked at lots and lots of different places, but what appealed to us about this one was the remote location (145K from Iquitos, at the very edge of the Tamshiyacu-Tahuayo Reserve) and the fact that there are no set itineraries. Guests have private guides and get to chooe what they want every day rather than having a set itinerary.

Good luck. It took us a long time to make up our inds about where to spend our time in the rainforest.

Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacaya Samiria

You might consider ASIENDES located INSIDE the Pacaya-Samiria National Reserve (5-million acre reserve). They are the Cocama-Cocamilla tribe and have a non-profit for eco-toursim. Their website is Spanish/English, too: www.asiendes.org/

I personally know Manual (indigeneous tribe leader), his wife Rosa, and eldest son Sandro, who all work together. I have no affiliation with this organization other than we have become friends over time.

One difference to consider about companies outside the reserve is that civilization and hunting diminishes chances of sighting various animals and birds.

Recently a contact thru Internet visited the reserve with ASIENDES and wrote a glowing report of thier visit (adults and children). I am taking the liberty (without disclosing her name) to post here.

QUOTE:

We had such an amazing time in Peru but, our group is unanimous in saying that of everywhere we were:

Iquitos

San Martin (inside Pacaya Samiria)

Lima

Ollantaytambo

Machu Picchu

Puno

Lake Titicaca

Isle Taquile,

it is San Martin that we loved the most and can’t wait to get back to! Manuel, Rosa, Sandro, Candy, Morelia , Leonella and ASIENDES were so wonderful! We gave the ASIENDES contact information and recommended ASIENDES to many tourists that we met on our journey.

END OF QUOTE (my description next to San Martin listing above; it is San Martin de Tipishca) The non-profit promotes reproduction, reforestation, conservation and farming development projects, as well as educational and cultural projects (accdg to website)

Good luck with your decision and I am sure you will love the Amazon region. I have lived for seven years now in Iquitos and visited many areas in the jungle. It will be an unforgettable trip - no matter where you go!

6. Re: Pacaya Samiria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 16:18
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos