We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Explorama's Ceiba Tops Lodge

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Explorama's Ceiba Tops Lodge

I thought I would post this as when I was looking for a lodge I was curious as to what the days are like. I was travelling solo at the time I was at the lodge.

I stayed for four nights/five days at Ceiba Tops (Oct 9-13) after 15 days of touring through the rest of Peru. This was the highlight of my entire trip. The lodge was wonderful.

I was met at the airport and taken to Explorama’s headquarters to catch the boat to the lodge. I was the only guest going that morning so it was just me and some of the staff on the boat.

The excursions were great, my schedule was as follows but I think it varies depending on when you arrive, how long you are staying for and your interests:

Day 1 – Arrived early morning, had lunch at the lodge and then went pink dolphin watching and piranha fishing (I caught a small piranha) and we saw many dolphins but they were too fast to get pictures.

Day 2 –Up early to leave by 5:45 for the trip to Explornapo and the canopy walkway. The walk to the walkway took about an hour through the hot steamy jungle. We had breakfast and lunch at Explornapo and after lunch went and saw a shaman who explained about the medicinal rainforest plants. We got back to the lodge close to 4pm. That evening at about 6pm we went out on the Amazon to watch the sunset. That night there was a folklore show put on by some kids from the high school in Indiana after dinner.

Day 3 –In the morning we went to visit the Yagua Indians, they did a couple of dances and we saw a blow gun demonstration and gave it a try, I almost hit the target (a wooden parrot attached to a pole), I hit the pole. In the afternoon we went to Isla de los Monos (Monkey Island), the monkeys are quite friendly; a spider monkey, named Anthony, crawled all over me. A storm blew in while we were on the island so it was a rough, wet, cold ride back to Ceiba Tops. This was the only time it rained while I was at Ceiba Tops.

Day 4 – In the morning we went to the Neiser’s sanctuary, this is not included in the Explorama program, but some of the others assigned to my group wanted to go and when Roger asked me I agreed. It cost $15USD extra to do this. This was as good as Isla de los Monos, but with additional animals. There is a sloth and a couple anacondas, a toucan plus other animals. In the afternoon I was on my own with Roger as all of the other guests in his group had left. I chose to do the walk to the Ceiba tree and the trails around the lodge. We saw howler monkeys, saddleback tamarins, a dead yellow porcupine and an ocelot. That night we went on a night hike, we didn’t see much just a tarantula, a butterfly and fireflies. A tapir followed us out of the jungle and back to the lodge.

Day 5 – In the morning we went to Indiana village and then took a tuktuk to Mazan and looked around. A boat met us there to take us back to Ceiba Tops. That afternoon we left at 2pm to head back to Iquitos where I caught a 5pm flight back to Lima and my 11:45pm flight back home. Roger stayed at the airport with me until I went through security.

The staff are what make the lodge so great. They were all really friendly and went out of their way to help. My guide Roger Tejada Rengifo was great (he speaks Spanish, English, German, Russian and Italian), especially the last day and a half that I had him to myself.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Explorama's Ceiba Tops Lodge

I think if you (also) post this as a review more people will find it.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Explorama's Ceiba Tops Lodge

I have posted it as a review, just waiting for it to be approved.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Explorama's Ceiba Tops Lodge

My review has now been posted.

4. Re: Trip Report - Explorama's Ceiba Tops Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos