We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's a good airfare from San Francisco to Iquitos?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What's a good airfare from San Francisco to Iquitos?

I am planning to go there end of August. Right now it seems, with 2 stops I can fly for about $921.

But I have no idea what is considered a good airfare for flying from San Francisco to Iquitos [via Lima I guess]. So I don't know if I should wait for better fare later or if this is something that I should book right away.

Also, will it be cheaper if I book the two segments separately with different airlines [like American from SFO and LAN from Lima to Iquitos] since that's what the travel sites show me as a combination?

Would appreciate input from anyone with experience... :)

Thanks

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's a good airfare from San Francisco to Iquitos?

Haven't flown that route but we usually get our flights from Lima to LA for around $700 to $750

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's a good airfare from San Francisco to Iquitos?

American codeshares with LAN, but you want to be sure the international flight is actually operated by LAN. Given all of American's problems at the moment, I would really hesitate to fly or book through them.

A good airfare from SF0 to Lima is around $650 to $700. So if you can find $800 to $900 that isn't too bad. A stand alone airfare for Lima to Iquitos on Star Peru is about $150 round trip. You might check pricing if booking the domestic leg separately on Star Peru.

A few other airlines fly from the west coast to Peru with stops in Central America. TACA/LACSA and Aeromexico are two. I flew TACA through El Salvador and Costa Rica last time (nice new comfortable airplanes). (I would recommend El Salvador with a tight connection to save time).

Also there are airfare sales all the time, especially on LAN. Check their website regularly.

Miami, Florida
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What's a good airfare from San Francisco to Iquitos?

LAN is actually running a promo from SFO to Lima today until i think the 28th of this month for direct flights for $700 (I htink). THe good thing about LAN is they allow you 2 free check bags, and the flight is direct! Good Luck!

Chico, California...
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's a good airfare from San Francisco to Iquitos?

Another option is Copa Airlines; a Star Alliance Airline. As of today, they had one-stop (in Panama City) flights from Los Angeles to Iquitos for $700, bypassing the need to spend a night in Lima.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 01:16
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's a good airfare from San Francisco to Iquitos?

While I haven't flown into Iquitos yet, I believe Lima is the only international airport in Peru. I would double check the above flight.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's a good airfare from San Francisco to Iquitos?

Hello,

Thanks for all the replies.

I ended up booking a flight from SFO for about $1240...which was the shortest duration I found...

14.5 hours there and 16.5 hours back from SFO to IQT..

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: What's a good airfare from San Francisco to Iquitos?

There is a flight with Copa departing Los Angeles early morning with a short stop in Panama and continues directly to Iquitos. This flight is on Wednesdays and Saturdays. You do not have to fly down to Lima and then up to Iquitos. Does this help?

8. Re: What's a good airfare from San Francisco to Iquitos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2014, 05:15