We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boat from yurimaguas

Which Iquitos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sucre, Bolivia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
boat from yurimaguas

I'm hoping to travel by boat from yurimaguas through iquitos and ultimately to coca. Has anyone done this trip recently? Any advice? Is it possible to sleep on a mat on the boat or will I need to get a hammock? I already have a good thermarest mat and would prefer to use it but everyone seems to sleep in hammocks I wonder why? If it turns out I do need a hammock what is the cost to buy one on board or at yurimaguas? Thanks and enjoy your travels everyone!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boat from yurimaguas

I have not done it personally but use to work in the area many years ago. I do not think things have changed. Much anyway. Hot, humid and lousy food is the least you can expect.

Hammocks are used extensively as not many private rooms are available.

2. Re: boat from yurimaguas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 03:42
Edited: 23 May 2014, 03:42
Cologne, Germany
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: boat from yurimaguas

Hi Tara!

We did a trip from Coca to Iquitos, and later to Yurimaguas. So the other way around. But the logic is similar.

The trip from Yurimaguas to Iquitos is not a problem, the boats are quite good, and you even can book a place in a cabin with a small bed, which would double the price of the trip, and you have to book it quite in advance, I think. Otherwise you will need a hammock. It would cost around 20-30 soles, and you have to buy it in advance, it is not possible to buy it on the boat. They are definitely sold in Yurimaguas in local shops. And you will understand why the hammock is needed when you get on board. Sleeping on the floor would be just too dirty and sometimes wet.

We did our trip in December 2013. We have written an instruction for travellers from Coca to Iquitos, which might be helpful for you as well. There we write generally what you would need on the boat and how to prepare for the trip.

…blogspot.com/2013/12/coca-to-iquitos-by-boa…

Hope, it could be helpful.

Enjoy your trip!

4. Re: boat from yurimaguas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos